1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Maese on Adam Schefter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Sep 3, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Behave yourselves if we have company hovering around.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think Reali is going to judge you on that post. But not mute you.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you didn't click on the Deadspin story, here's the Westword story from 1997 when it happened.

http://www.westword.com/1997-09-25/news/off-limits/full/

This was before my time there, but someone who was at the Rocky at the time it happened has told me previously -- the prank is quite legendary, obviously -- that no one from the Rocky was involved in the prank -- and this person has always been a total straight shooter with me.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

ISIS Timeout everybody!

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I fully understand how a situation like that can take a bite out of a reporter's credibility but, really, was that the worse thing they could have said about Elway?

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Did whoever did that lost their job?

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He lives with a woman who lost her husband and father of her child in a blink of an eye and he doesn't take time to smell the roses?

Schefter is great but he is a selfish fool. Life is too short to worry about what kicker the Chiefs signed today.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course not, but you're not going to get something really awful published as a throw-in at the end of a notebook. As a prank, that's pretty good.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This, to me, is an incredibly unfair comment. We're not in his shoes. What if he feels a tremendous sense of obligation to take care of them (considering their history) and it makes his drive almost pathological? Or, what if he's one of those guys who says, "Look, I'm going to go hard until a certain age, take care of the financial situation, and then retire?"

I have a close friend who -- as he grew up -- watched his father's business collapse twice. They were forced out of their homes on both occasions as the bank foreclosed on them. It shaped who he is. Would his wife like it if he spent more time at home, or had less of a preoccupation with work? Absolutely. But he told her he is determined not to let that happen to him, that, first and foremost, he's going to provide a stable environment for his family so they grow in peace.

She accepts that and is very thankful their children get that. Maybe Schefter is the same way.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

He could also work from home a lot, spending time with his wife and child while answering calls, sending texts or whatever.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They never caught the culprit. I've asked the two people who were rumored to have done it if they did it and one of them said, "I knew about it, but I didn't do it." and the other denied knowing anything about it, and for what it's worth, nobody believed him. :D

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

This was before the day of emailing stories in. My understanding was that all you needed was a code to file the story, so it would be a lot easier to do this back in 1997 then it would be now.

I think the belief was that someone from the Rocky did it with direction from someone at The Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted