1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Maese in Japan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prospero, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I am of the opinion every journalist should cover high school football for at least one season. It teaches how to write on deadline, how to write concisely, how to conduct meaningful interviews, how to listen for pertinent quotes and how to construct a story that is constantly, by nature, changing.
    I made the transition from sports writer to news editor rather seamlessly. I have seen other sports writers do the same. I have not seen the same going the other direction.

2. cfinder

cfinder Member

Stay in the business long enough, and you'll find yourself working airplane crashes, 9-11, a fitness-club shooting and more.
    A journalist does what a journalist must.

And, yes, a good sports writer can be a great journalist, when asked to serve.

Rick and Chico -- although I'm biased because both are friends, though Chico was a colleague as well -- have done above-and-beyond.

Draft saved Draft deleted