1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Cleveland leaving Clarion-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RustyHampton, Apr 3, 2012.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As good as this was, I thought his brother Bobby's was a little funnier. I especially loved this bit:

"He (meaning Rick) has covered guys like Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Brett Favre and all the Mannings. He has covered two, and in some cases, three generations of high school athletes.

I have written about Dr. Eddie, Flip Flop, Li'l Joe, Dancin' Dan, Uncle Lee, Rabbit, Cuz, Ol' Tommy, the Partridge family, and too many Sonnys, Bubbas and Bos to count.

I once turkey hunted with a guy named Merrill and another named Gerald. Before the day was over, we joined up with another group that, I swear, included a Harold, a Jerrell, a Carroll, a Daryl and a Bill. Bill's last name? Ferrell. I swear. All I had to do was stutter and say, 'arrell' and I didn't have to remember a single name. (A week later, I got a letter from a guy who said he felt left out and should have been invited, signed Terrell.)"

You can't make that stuff up, although, knowing Bobby Cleveland, I'm sure he could do it and get away with it.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I loved that part. Great stuff and his replacement has big shoes to fill. The old-school outdoors writers are becoming fewer and fewer these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted