1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Cleveland leaving Clarion-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RustyHampton, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

And that's true talk.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Can you actually name a state that doesn't have a state hall of fame with at least one full-time employee? All five states I've lived in have had one, though the quality has varied greatly.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I hate to see these threads. I hate it for Rusty. But I'm happy for Rick.

But I hate it for the industry.

So, I take it we'll be seeing several more big names from Gannett taking buyouts.

4. Are we sure of that? In this day and age, at Gannett especially, is it a given that a 100k circulation paper will have a full-time columnist?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I can, but I'd probably out myself in the process.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It is very nice, but considering the amazing history of sports in this state, it's something that just had to happen. Rube was just the guy to do it and Rick's perfect to keep the torch burning. I feel almost sorry for the guy that'll try to take up Rick's mantle at the Ledger. It's like Ray Perkins following Coach Bryant or Ron Zook following Steve Spurrier at Florida.

If you're in Jackson, it's worth the visit. Then go to the ag museum next door and head to LaFleur's Bluff across Lakeland to the Natural History museum, which is worth a visit as well.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't go that far with the Ray Perkins following the Bear or Zook following Spurrier analogy. This is no slight to Rick, who was a good guy and a legendary figure to some but there are others out there who can do what he did.
    Rick had the benefit of being there for 30 years or so. He knew where the skeletons were. A newcomer, with some experience and talent can be just as effective in time.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Every year on the Monday before the state football championship weekend, the MHSAA holds its press conference/luncheon at the Hall of Fame with all the coaches of the teams that are playing that weekend, plus a few selected players. I always take the opportunity to walk through the Hall and check out any new exhibits. It's a great facility, and the best part is it doesn't cost the taxpayers a dime. I considered Rubenstein a friend, and I've known Rick for a long time. He'll do a fine job in his new position.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I for one would love to see the CL select a minority to fill Rick's departed roll. There are several worthy candidates for the position.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Was that a Kaiser roll or rye?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rick's farewell column:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120415/COL0504/204150335/1177?cid=dlvr.it

Draft saved Draft deleted