1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Cleveland leaving Clarion-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RustyHampton, Apr 3, 2012.

1. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

They did reject a buyout of one at my old paper. He was the head photographer and I guess they decided it was too much to lose him after buying out the most tenured sports writer, the head IT person and the metro editor. Poor guy was pissed too.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the newspaper industry to lose Rick Cleveland but good that he's landing on his feet in a good gig.

4. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Clarion-Ledger tribute page to Rick...

http://tinyurl.com/88jh9dg

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Well. Matthews left.

People are seeing the writing on the wall, even the big-timers.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great news and sad news. Rick Cleveland is one of the good guys in this business. I'm truly happy for him. I'm also saddened because journalism in The Magnolia State just took another hit that it won't soon recover from. The guy Rick is replacing at the Hall, the late Michael Rubenstein, was also a class act who helped the Hall grow. I'm sure Rusty will find a replacement for Rick, but it won't be easy.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mississippi has a stand-alone Sports Hall of Fame, with a full-time staff? Wow.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes and if you're ever in Jackson, it's worth the trip.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It truly is (especially given that Jackson isn't the most happening place). It's on the east end of town next to the old baseball stadium (Smith-Wills I think). Nothing flashy, but well organized and informative. To me, better than what Alabama and Tennessee have, although I haven't been to ASHOF in nearly 15 years.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Doesn't every state?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

+1, and an extra feel-bad-for for Rusty. Next time you're out here in wine country, let's empty a bottle together and toast to Rick.

Good luck, Rick.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Sadly, no. Mississippi's is the best I've seen -- thanks in large part to the efforts of Rube. He was the best, but if anyone on the planet is capable of picking up the torch, it's Rick.

Draft saved Draft deleted