1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Carlisle says NBA should make rim bigger....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Boom, the problem with Redick is defense. He couldn't guard anybody when he played this year. He's not quick enough to guard NBA 1s and and he's not big or strong enough to guard NBA 2s. And he's not going to get help from his teammates on D like he did in college. And there's no room in today's NBA starting backcourts for a guy who can't guard anybody.

2. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Hey, it's not like guys didn't play D. Just ask the Pistons. Plus, you could all but maim a guy and stay in the game or just get a one-game suspension. McHale's clothesline of Rambis was in the '80s.

I'm not going to dispute there's more emphasis on defense now than then. But guys still played hard, especially in the postseason.

As far as Duncan and Bowen, you got it.

Some guys love that 'certain grip' thing when shooting. I guess Coop was one of those guys. If you have the time, why not? I know, there's less time today than then. Still, you see guys get that shot now. Okur lived off of shots like that this year. And, as with Rodman or Ben Wallace, if they're going to cheat off of you, take as long as you want.

Also in the '80's - no zones. :)

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

JJ Redick sucks because he can't get his own shot off. You can't be "just a shooter" these days and average 20 a game. Players are too good and quick. You need to get your own shot off and he cant' do that(at least for now).

EDIT: I dk about you guys, but that was great defense last night.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm just messing with you too Rok. JJ will never be a big time NBA player and I could not be happier.

My problem with NBA is my baseline for good basketball was the 69-70 Knicks - who played D, moved without the ball , Hit the open man , and had a power forward and center who could stretch the D by hitting outside shot.

5. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Don't tell Rip Hamilton that ^^, whatever you do. :)

The 'D' was great last night, IMO.

Boom - If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known. Right over my head. Ha ha :) Hey, I think Reddick is a punk, from the stories I've heard. I'm not crying any tears for him.

If your standard is that Knick team under Holzman, no wonder today's NBA is disappointing. I've seen some footage, but just from the accounts it seems like the epitome of 'team' basketball. It's always great to see that type of play. I think that's one reason people like Phoenix. Everyone touches the ball, good ball movement, etc. Although I'm sure those Knicks were infinitely better defenders, as a team.

6. Mmac

Mmac Guest

The Phoenix Suns of the last three years have been one of the NBA's best recent developments simply because they're so fun to watch. The way the ball moves from teammate to teammate on the fast break, the way they find the open man, its beautiful to watch and reminiscent of past Laker, Celtic, and Knick great teams (also watch footage of the 77 Blazers sometime--same thing). The NBA dearly needed that team to reach the finals.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes sir. The Suns play a beautiful game to watch. I love watching Nash penetrate and kick it back out or dish to open man cutting into key.

I think the Bulls have potential to become like the Suns with the personal they have.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Change the rules: Make ANY SHOT taken in the first eight seconds of a possession count for 3 points.

Any shot: layup, tip-in, dunk, 8-foot jumper, 15-foot jumper, 25-foot jumper.

As it stands now, coaches (LIKE RICK CARLISLE) forbid their players to take any shot besides a dunk, wide-open 3, or desperation heave as the shot clock runs out.

Draft saved Draft deleted