1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Bozich: Tubby's departure could be a happy ending

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070226/SPORTS03/70226059

I don't disagree with most of what Dr. Bo prescribes, except for:

Here's my only problem -- It was just five months ago that Barnhart himself was on the hot seat because of the football program. Did they have a successful season? Yes, but it was chock full of bottom-feeders and paycheck games. In short, it was designed to give UK a 6-6 record. Factor in a down Georgia team and a typical Clemson squad and you suddenly have a team and a program that look better than what they really are. Rich Brooks and Barnhart did not turn it around, they just lowered the bar. And they're both getting rewards for that.

I do get the feeling Barnhart will try to push Tubby Smith out by trying to force changes -- Tubby is due a $1.5 million retention bonus this year. But the last time he played hardball with a coach was with Guy Morriss. Remember how disastrous the search was to find his replacement? A similar fiasco -- which in my opinion is highly likely -- would not be disastrous. It could be catastrophic.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nick Saban is denying interest in the job. Larry Brown isn't.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

And LexingtonSportsJournalists.com masturbates as one.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I, Mitch Barnhart, am very disappointed in Tubby Smith. We are reviewing the potential applicants for the soon-to-be vacant job as coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sensing a pattern here, BYH.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

HAHAHA yeah I realized I might have gone to the masturbation well once too often (boy, if I had a dime every time I said that...).

But that stupid fanboy thread about why America needs to understand why Tubby sucks was one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. Guess what? America doesn't give a shit about your alma mater, my alma mater or anyone's alma mater. It only maters in your little corner of the world. No one comes here to read threads about why your team rules or drools.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It was the national media, not America. i.e. all the national columnists or announcers who were blowing Tubby.

Not Joe Schmoe from Kokomo.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I posted in the other Tubby thread the link from Gary Parrish's column to the crazy UK fan that does the "Dynasty Defenders Cyber Show." It was hilarious stuff and within hours of the column coming out all his video was pulled down off youtube and dynastydefenders.com. Luckily it's still on google video for the time being.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2515675505459643042

I like how at the end of the video the idiot stick a fire cracker in the mouth of a Tubby picture and blows it up. What's Mr. Smith doing in that picture. Just cutting down the nets with a national championship hat on. But my god, that was nine years ago. How dare he make UK fans wait a decade with no title.

Here's hoping if Tubby does leave the search turns into the biggest fiasco ever. But every good UK fan knows Billy Donovan is just waiting for Tubby to leave so he can move to Lexington and bring Pattrick Patterson with him. ::)

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I know spnited is your boy and all, but holy heck did that e-mail sound like his patented, over-the-top negativity.

Please don't join his ilk. I like you.

Please?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All I'm saying is that if you get rid of Tubby, you better be positive his replacement is an upgrade...

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And all I'm saying is I still remember the debacle that was the UK football coaching search in 2003. Remember when Barnhart swore that Bill Parcells expressed interest in coaching UK?

If I'm a UK fan, Barnhart is the last guy I want leading this search. Who knows what reject they'll end up with. Or even worse, Barnhart takes a page from the UK history book and lures the coach of the Knicks away from New York and the NBA.

The bottom line is this -- there are few coaches that are equal or better than Tubby Smith. Chances are, UK won't get one of them to come to Lexington next season.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fixed that for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted