1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Ankiel's Comeback

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bald Bull, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ankiel is 28 years old. No point in keeping him in the minors much longer. If he's ever going to make it back to the majors, it has to be soon.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If I recall correctly, Ankiel's got a lot of pop, but he's got some big holes in his swing, too (he's got 78 Ks and 22 BBs in 331 ABs.) ... that may be playing a part in their delay in calling him up.

3. boots

boots New Member

He's out of options.

4. Starman

What's his OBP and OPS? Strikeouts are just outs. You hardly ever strike out into a double play (although it has been done.)

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

In 2007, 78ks in 332 at-bats is nothing for guys who dig the long ball.

As for the former pitchers-turned sluggers, I believe the Babe was once a serviceable big-league hurler, not that it was a crisis or injury that forced his hand. :D

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So you go from saying team members will resent Ankiel to saying he's out of options?

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

No idea on his OPS but his OBP was below .330 last I heard ...

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Paging Chris Coste to the Rick Ankiel thread.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ankiel's stats:
    AVG - .272
    OBP - .320
    OPS - .888
    SLG - .568
    K's - 78
    AB - 331

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He is out of options, but more importantly, the Cards really don't have anywhere to put him.

Duncan's entrenched himself in left, and he ain't moving. Edmonds is the guy you want in center, when he's healthy, and Taguchi has filled in decently for him this year. Encarnacion is an established right fielder, and you've got a declining Preston Wilson behind him. Plus, Ludwick, Spiezio and Schumaker off the bench already.

Is Ankiel better than any of them? Maybe, maybe not. Disregarding his age, he's not a can't-miss prospect because he's an undisciplined hitter. Not that that's stopped a lot of guys with pop in their bats, but still.

You can't call him up just because he's a "name" with an inspirational comeback story. He'll definitely have a lot of fan support if/when he gets called up, but nobody's worried about fan support in the 'Lou. [/insert 'moran' picture here :D]

You've got to have a place to play him, and the Cardinals don't. They're paying good money for the five outfielders on the squad right now. How would they bring up another one?

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

One quick note: I'm pretty sure Preston Wilson's still on the DL, and may never be heard from again. His knee's pretty well screwed up.

12. Starman

If I'm the Cards, I market him to the AL as a combo OF/1B/DH/PH.

If he's playing center in AAA, he can probably handle the corner fields too.

But at the age of 28, no point in keeping him in the minors to see if he's gonna magically cut his strikeout rate in half. Not gonna happen.

He's got 27 HRs 2/3 of the way through the minor-league season, that roughly projects out to 40 for the full season.

When you jump a player a level of competition, as a rough rule of thumb, subtract 10-15 percent from his production to give you a general idea of what he might do at the higher level: that would give Ankiel something like a .250 average, .300 OBP and 30-32 HRs in a full season of MLB at-bats.

That ain't Hall of Fame, but it's a useful player. Plenty of teams have OFs/DHs in their lineups who aren't doing that well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.