1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond, you're up.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The numbers aren't quite the same, but it's pretty similar at my MG shop.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It wasn't all that long ago when we had one photographer for each of those pods along the wall over there... five in all. Now we're down to two, and there was a point over one weekend where we didn't have any. We were down to one and he left; we got a stringer in here FT the following Monday and he was thrown into the fire.

And it's been like that all over. We lost one spot. Copy desk is bare bones. Newsside has barely enough. Our editorial assistant works FT hours but, of course, she's not.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Isn't there a good part time kid they could have sent down there for the game? Oh wait, he's on the Redskins beat (EDIT to add that's not meant as a shot at Redskins writer, who is doing a good job). Media General, a company I used to be glad I worked for, is a joke - even by this industry's putrid standards.

We get e-mails almost everyday telling us how we need to be thinking toward the future and helping the company build the Web. Of course any ideas for decent Web products that might generate revenue are quickly shot down because they don't fit the model of what we're already doing. Meanwhile the Web product at all Media General operations seems to get worse every day.

There's nobody left to cut at our MG community shop unless they decide city council and school board meetings don't need to be covered. That wouldn't shock me though.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The paper's story:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/RTDD09_20081208-212852/145952/

The Features editor, a good guy and hard worker, was among the newsroom cuts. So was a long-time copy messenger who went to school with me.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn. We'll just leave it at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted