1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond, you're up.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sad. One of these days someone is going to realize that you can't make long-term money by giving the consumer less. I pray for those who have been let go, and for those still there that have to pick up the slack.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm starting to hear some names but have nothing confirmed. Apparently, the staff is in a meeting as I type this. I'm sure that is a cheery session.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know there's a staff meeting at 3. Not sure what the 2 p.m. meeting was.

4. Moderator1

First meeting was with one of the affected departments, it turns out. Whole staff coming in 15 minutes. IJAG is right. Three reporters/designers and two managers of some sort in the newsroom, still hearing different totals building wide.
    Ugh.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy, if I am correct, this has never happened to the T-D.

6. Moderator1

You are not correct.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The 2 p.m. meeting was for those who got it with some vaseline
    The 3 p.m. meeting was for those who got it bare and raw......
    The 4 p.m. meeting was for those who didn't get it but will get it soon....

Not trying to be gross or raw but this is getting ridiculous.

If a place is understaffed at 178 -- and now is going to at least 160 according to the moderator -- at what point do you decide to fold up shop?

I mean, how many people can you reasonably expect to run a paper of that size with before it becomes an AP clipping service with a few local ads?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

When did something like this last occur at the T-D?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The way I read Moddy (And I didn't know the staffing numbers) capacity is 178. So 40 below that is 138. They're losing, from what we're hearing, five people from the newsroom, to 133.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Zag, if there was a true answer to your question, a lot of people would be rich right now.

11. Moderator1

Correct. They have 178 slots, or did when I left. They were at 138 or so recently. The 18 is company wide, not out of the newsroom. Five there - three "staff" and two managers of some sort.

Right off the top of my head: 1992, 2006 (twice) and, in some parts of the operation, earlier in 2008.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh my God -- 133 -- Moddy -- you were there -- how many more can they realistically lose before they can't put out a legitimate product?

Draft saved Draft deleted