1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond - writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm too busy/lazy to go find the link right now on the Media General site, but my old joint is looking for a writer.
    They lost U.Va. writer Jeff White to U.Va. and racing/small colleges/GA writer Ralph Paulk to Pittsburgh. Far as I know, they're only replacing one now (maybe the other one later) and I don't know how it will be structured. U.Va. job? Another beat? Don't know. Just know it is a writing job.
    Go to Media General's site and search the jobs. It is there.

2. Moderator1

This seems to be it:

http://jobs.mediageneral.com/JobDetails.asp?varID=RNI-000990

I'm told that the second opening created when a sports writer left may go to news side but that's not certain. Well, it may be since the other listing on the site along with the one linked above is for a news reporter.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ok moddy, I'll bite. Does it get your seal of approval?

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

Is this Trosky's shop still?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

This one should draw a flag for a couple of reasons. For starters, NEVER in my recollection has Moddy not given a seal of approval for this shop. As much as I may banter with him back in forth on issues - some of it jokingly - if he doesn't give a thumbs up, it's worth noting. Secondly, the latest thread on MG news involving furloughs is a definite cause for concern.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In this profession, in this era, every job on the board has a flag. Some are just bigger than others.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. Like I said, this is the first one in the Old Dominion that Moddy didn't sign off on, to my recollection. I could be wrong and he knows for sure. But what I do know is that it should serve as a warning.

9. So, let me ask this, outside of the potential warning signs of the trouble of the paper, should this be a good job in terms of the work and making a step up the ladder? It would seem, circulation-wise, and with the things they're able to cover, that this would be a nice gig in relation to purely just the work you're doing. Am I wrong?

Because despite all the warning signs, Moddy apparently not giving his seal of approval, and the apparent appocalyptical feeling about the paper and its direction, this still seems like an enticing opportunity to someone in my position.

10. Moderator1

Look, please let's not read too much into Moddy's thumbs for right now. I'll have more to say later.
    Everyone knows I love this place. There's seven writers left. Five I worked with for 18 or more years and I would literally sacrifice my life for any of them. The other two I hired. I love Steve to death, professionally and personally. These are good, ass-busting people.
    That said, I'm getting tons of mixed signals. Before last week's news I would have given an enthusiastic thumbs up, even though they're not specifying a beat. Now? I'm still pointing up but maybe not as emphatically. Give me some time to figure out some things.

My basic advice would be to apply, you darn sure won't get it otherwise. Go in with your eyes wide, wide, wide open and be ready to ask tons and tons and tons of questions. Hard questions. They're legit and you have a right to know honest answers as best as they can give them right now. If they balk at answering, you have your answer.

And, drip, we have a lot of fine papers and fine newspaper people here in the Old Dominion. I'd endorse working at almost all of them. I don't sign off on every single one, however. There are some places I wouldn't recommend to a dead skunk.

11. Thanks, Moddy. I got the thumbs up from a colleague of mine who knew the are very well, and who I think you know. But like you, he had a not-so-emphatic thumbs up for the job. All the question-asking in the world likely doesn't matter for me, because I don't know how likely someone is to give me a shot at this kind of gig, but I was just looking for some input either way.

I've already got a list of questions I want to ask should something positive result from this, and as you said, I will go in with eyes wide open as to the future.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy, it's six writers according to Steve. The sports department is down 8 people from about 15 months ago.

This job will most likely be a combo of racing and some smaller colleges with CAA football and some preps. That's my guesstimate. I'd guess more colleges/preps than racing.

Moddy's dead right about the people involved. REALLY good folks who keep busting their ass no matter the crap coming down from above. And Steve's a VERY good man, possibly too nice.

It's a job that's probably going to offer you more opportunities than some of the "new grads please apply" gigs. MG has its issues, but Moddy's right: As long as you ask the questions, and make sure you're comfortable with what they're telling you, it's a good group of people in the department to work with.

Draft saved Draft deleted