1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond, Virginia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Apr 24, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Richbrau. Thank you. I haven't been down to those places in a few years, but I always had a good time. One of those bars had like two or three levels with different music on each level. Good times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bandido's Burrito Lounge is a pretty good place to go in the Fan if you're jonesing for a big-ass burrito without having to go to a chain. www.banditosburritolounge.com

Also in the Fan: Kuba Kuba is a really cool Cuban place in an old pharmacy near VCU's main campus. www.kubakuba.info

If your Cuban food desire is more upscale: Havana '59 in Shockoe Bottom, the town's party district. www.havana59.net

A lot of Richmond natives will tell you that Bev's in Carytown does the best ice cream, but my vote is firmly for Gelati Celesti in the West End on Broad Street. Deeply flavorful gelatos -- my favorite is a transcendent chocolate peanut butter -- and some oddball combinations (marshmallow peanut butter Oreo and The 25, a vanilla ice cream with 25 mix-ins to celebrate their 25th anniversary)

Stuff to do that isn't food:

If you're in Carytown, and chances are you will be, you'll want to check out Byrd Theatre. It's a second-run theater that's been in business since 1928, and it's on the National Register of Historic Places. It also has the Mighty Wurlitzer organ, which gets played on Saturday nights. www.byrdtheatre.org

Richmond Kickers are usually a strong USL Second Division side. They had to drop down a few seasons ago from the top division because of finances, but they're fairly popular by Second Division standards. U of Richmond Stadium is too big for what they need, but the field was in really good shape last time I was there.

Baseball? Go 100 miles north to see the Nationals southeast to see the Norfolk Tides.

Pretty much everyone else's suggestions can be seconded (or fifth, the case of Capital Ale House. Seriously, the place is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Probably half the beers I like I got my first taste of at Cap Ale. Food's a little disappointing outside the aformentioned and otherworldly pretzel, but when you take a look at the 36-page beer menu, it won't matter).

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Grab some U of Richmond gear. Cool spider logo.

I have a coffee cup with the logo on the inside. The first time my stepdad drank from it, he tried to thump the spider out.

4. JackReacher

I gotta agree with you on the Spiders logo. I wouldn't mind having a long sleeved Richmond t-shirt.

And I think I saw where there's a Capital Ale House coming to NOVA soon. I could be wrong, but I think I saw that. Anyone know for sure?

Edit: There's one in Fredericksburg. Close enough. That place is definitely worth the hour drive.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That place is almost worth the 7 hour drive and $52 round-trip tolls.

6. JackReacher

I think you're right. Next time you're in the area, holla, and we'll grab some brews and maybe a dolla burger. Those things are silly.

Dammit. I want to go. Now.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Tobacco Company lets you have seconds on the prime rib. I know it's a gimmick, that the cost is built in. But it was kind of cool to say, "On second thought I think I will have some more of that beef."

I'm not a regular Thai eater, but the food was good at Beauregard's Thai Room when we tried it a couple years ago (I had duck, my wife had some kind of fish) and so was the atmosphere. What really makes it is that they make their own ice cream and they do it well:

http://thairoom.com/index.htm

There is an Italian restaurant near the Tobacco Co. -- I forget the name. We just had dessert and it was excellent.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'd spend a day in Richmond then head to Williamsburg, Va.

I probably vacation in Williamsburg more than anywhere else.

Busch Gardens is there. Colonial Williamsburg is there. A winery is there. Water Country is there. Plenty of shopping, including the most absurdly large Yankee Candle clusterfuck I've ever seen. Hotel rooms are fairly cheap.

Don't visit Richmond during race weekend. Bad idea. It's coming up soon.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Next weekend - and you won't be able to get a room in Fredericksburg or Williamsburg or Petersburg.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I greatly appreciate all the suggestions that have come in. It has been a while since I touched on this topic as my schedule has just been so busy.

We are still going and Memorial weekend is the slot that works. It is a little rushed, so I'm going over the suggestions and sorting out what I can fit into the approximate two and a half days.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't drive down 95 from DC.

If you have to, take 301. Trust me on this one.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Since Lieslntx might be in the market for said nail, so you may be able to make a couple of bucks on your find, Moddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted