1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond jobs update

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Apr 19, 2007.

1. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

To the SportsJournalists.com community:

Judging from the SJ mentions in letters and applications, I figure this is the best way to reach everyone who is involved with the three jobs I have open now (deputy/design, deputy/content, preps).

Events of the past week have put all of them on the back burner as I've jumped in to help with the Virginia Tech coverage. I covered VT for seven years before becoming SE so my knowledge of the school and town was needed. I'm currently there serving as site editor.

So all searches are kind of back burnered for a couple of weeks.

I go home Tuesday and will spend the rest of next week catching up on the department business.
    The next week Nextel Cup visits town and that will take up my time.
    The next week, we'll get back to work on filling those jobs. Would have liked to have two of them done this week but circumstances we couldn't predict prevented that.

My guess is those of you involved in any of these jobs probably figured all that out but I wanted to post it and make it clear.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. This has been quite a week.

As previously posted, Darryl Slater is joining us to become our Virginia Tech writer. The beat has taken on a different look since he accepted and Darryl's skills will be very valuable in helping us get the stories that will continue to crop up out of this tragedy.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for the update, Mike. I know you're wearing a lot of hats right now during a pretty hectic situation. I'm sure we all appreciate you taking the time to give us the lay of the land.

3. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I agree. Thanks for keeping us on the low down in such a hectic time for you guys. Thanks Mike.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Thanks, Mike. Good luck with everything in Blacksburg. I know this has got to be a tough time for you all. My thoughts go out to yourself and anyone on the Richmond staff who was affected by this tragedy.

Take your time. I'm sure all the applicants understand completely and will be patient.

5. I can't imagine coming onto the beat at Tech after all that has happened. Tough spot.

For Mike to take a couple of minutes to update us all, considering everything that's going on, reinforces what a good guy he is.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm not in contention for a Richmond job but agree that it was good of Mike to update the board.

Once the situation settles down, I'll be very interested in a behind-the-scenes discussion of how the paper handled coverage and Mike's role as site editor.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Absolutely... hang in there, brother.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

classy move to fill us in on here....
    If only other people did that!

9. My reaction is, "Thanks for letting us know how hard you're working."

Maybe I'm just being crabby.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Miami'll do that to ya. :)

11. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Crabby is one word for it. I had another in mind.
    Yeah, I am working pretty hard right now. As are a lot of people here. It's a scene that requires a lot of hard work.
    Sorry if my posting that bothers you. We're well along in three job processes and I figured the candidates - most of them members here - deserved an update.

Yes, crabby will indeed work though I like mine better.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Wow, cut the guy a break. One of the most stand-up people on this board, gets shoved into an incredibly tough situation and you think he came on here to brag how much he's working when he was giving people an update on job searches when it would be COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY understandable if job candidates didn't heard from him for a couple of weeks.

Really. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted