1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richie Rodriguez, he doth protest too much.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Dec 5, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And again, I ask: Why is "getting a scoop" still held up like a worthy goal nowadays? Being first is less important than ever before, due to a 24-hour news cycle that renders a breaking story obsolete 12 hours later, either because the details are old news or the details have changed.

As a reader -- as a fan without a dog in this fight -- I have no idea who "broke" the story that Richie Rod was staying at West Virginia.

And frankly, I don't care.

I don't care who tells me the story, as long as it's right. I don't care what you had to do to break the story, as long as it's right. I don't care if someone else reported it first, as long as you reported it best.

If you do that consistently, and you give me little reason to distrust your credibility, I'll read you 'til the day I die.

But I don't give a damn if you get it first. Once it's out there, I can find it anywhere and I won't remember who had it first. More to the point, I won't care. I just want to know if it's right.

The days of "scooping the competition" are long gone. I wish the "pressure to be first" would die a quick and painful death.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Except.... most coaches lie.

He'll get totally frozen out.

He has to have a better BS detector.

Trusting someone when that much money is involved is borderline crazy.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's also extremely likely that Rodriguez didn't lie if he told Joe Schad, or any other reporter, that he was taking the job.

It's entirely possible he WAS going to take the job until his wife told him under no fucking circumstances was she moving to Alabama.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened. Remember when Glen Mason took the Georgia job then "untook" it after KU's flight to Hawaii for the Aloha Bowl?

Didn't Bobby Cremins do something similar when he was at Georgia Tech?

4. To be fair, these stories cited "multiple sources" ... so if it was Ricardo lying, he wasn't the only one.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

South Carolina was Cremins' ridiculousness.

And who can ever forget Jim Harrick taking the Georgia job, changing his mind and staying at URI, then taking the Georgia job again? All in an 18-hour-or-so span, too.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

wicked beat me to it.

Think Georgia wishes Harrick hadn't changed his mind that last time.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Ding, ding, ding. I completely agree.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of very good reporters were wrong on this one... After reading Slaton's comments last nught it seemed like RR was gone...

I'm guessing he changed his mind or WVU came up with some more money...

We'll never know the truth...

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt. So who else is on the radar for this job?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It must be nice to be "the South's leading opinion maker."

So far today, Finebaum's radio show has featured him continuing to rip the media, to poke fun at reporters for reporting what others told them (when Finebaum essentially does the same every day by reporting what others are reporting), to play "Coal Miner's Daughter" as the bumper out of commercial following a segment in which Finebaum: a) wondered where people shop in Morgantown, and if there's a Wal-Mart; b) snickered about the photo of Rita Rodriguez posted on his Web site yesterday that prompted lots of shots at her; c) implied West Virginia is an armpit of a state and d) generally abused West Virginia again and again.

I wonder: a) if Finebaum thinks Alabama is the zenith of cosmopolitan America, and b) if he's ever looked at the photo of himself on his Web site.

His outrage at how badly Alabama's search has gone and his temper flare-ups today show how emotionally invested in the Crimson Tide "the South's leading opinion maker" is. And yet, nobody plays both sides of the fence like Finebaum. It's amazing. He interviews people and agrees with them, then rips them as soon as they are off the show. He says "I don't want to be the first person to say Alabama is better off without him," but in the next breath he does so.

What a miserable prick of a human being. Punks like that get their ass beat at recess.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which is why he is the way he is in the first place.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up JD. Think I may listen for a while.

West Virginia's an easy target. It was one of the Greaseman's funnier bits when he was relevant at DC 101.

One of my little brothers went to West By God. Swears he even tried moonshine. But I don't think he ever set his couch on fire.

People who hail from West Virginia have always had a strong sense of place. Everybody else be damned. Especially those in T-Town, it turns out.

Draft saved Draft deleted