1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Jewell - Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dyno, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

MSNBC reported that he died due to complications from diabetes. I'm sure the stress of being falsely accused had something to with his early death...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/08/29/jewell_0830.html

Richard Jewell, the Centennial Olympic Park security guard once suspected — but later cleared — in the bombing of the park during the 1996 Summer Games, was found dead Wednesday in his home in Meriwether County. He was 44.

County coroner Johnny Worley said Jewell's wife discovered him dead in their Woodbury home at about 10:30 a.m., and he was pronounced dead by Worley about 45 minutes later.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The classic example of why you shouldn't rush to judgment.

3. Unless it's Michael Vick.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

damn... a damn shame...
    Did he ever win his suit against the AJC and others?

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Convicted in the court of public opinion with one fact repeated in the early stories: "The suspect lives with his mother."

Guilty!

YHS, etc

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This was a really sad case for all involved. Remember kids, just because the cops think someone is guilty, doesn't make 'em guilty. Just watch Law and Order sometime.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He would have died sooner if the Internet were as big a deal back then. Imagine how his life would have been torn limb from limb then.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Note the title of the link at the top of the second column. Then notice to which paper the story links.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Slappy, I thought I heard earlier today he won the suits he filed against NBC and CNN, but that his lawsuit against AJC was still going through the courts. If I misunderstood any of that, someone, please, feel free to correct me.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I recall a recent story to that same effect. AJC hadn't settled.

Edit: Above linked story indicates the same.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Drudge is an asshole.
    Yeah, the media gave him diabetes.

Go ahead, Matty, continue to base your legacy on a lie.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Feel bad for the guy. Probably didn't have a great life before, or especially after the Olympics.
    Hope his wife comes through this OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted