1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rich Rodriguez plays the "get a life" card

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of being pompous... moran...

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Charlie Weis too wonders what the fuss is all about, pointing to the endangerment of whales in the Pacific.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How long could any theory on offense be from Rich Rodriguez? He has one system, and it's being proven that if he doesn't have his players to run his one system, he cannot make the adjustments necessary to allow his existing players to succeed.

That's where he fails, no matter how much success he has in the future. Lloyd Carr wasn't a perfect coach, of course, but the cupboard wasn't bare.

It drives me up the wall that supposedly great coaches cannot adjust to the strength of their personnel. For all his success, Jimmy Johnson could not. Neither can Rich Rodriguez.

And, to get back on topic, Rodriguez desperately needs to STFU.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Quite possibly. I've been eagerly watching this trainwreck from the moment UM hired him. Traditionally, Michigan has not been the type of program to go out on a limb, so to speak, and hire a rogue element like Rodriquez.

And it didn't take long for him to leave his mark. Shortly after spring practice started, lineman Justin Boren transferred, citing the reason of a "loss in family values." Where did Boren transfer? Ohio State.

Dickhead can coach, that's for sure. And everywhere he's been, it's taken a couple years for his system to set in before success came. Plus, he took over a program that was stripped of all its talent and one that didn't have a QB that fits his system.

If he gets fired, it won't be because of ability. But it wouldn't be the first time someone got canned for being an asshole of gaping proportions.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

THEY think so.

They're Michigan Men (and Women).

Bow down, guttersnipe.

::)

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm actually a state guy, but a Michigan fan. That's what I would consider a "smart" Michigan fan. ;D

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've heard Michigan People talk amongst themselves, about their broad status in life, when they think no one's listening.

You wouldn't believe it, if I told you.

Incredible.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Most UM fans are ignorant and uninformed. But I'm sure that's the way with most teams. Except most teams fans aren't as arrogant.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't understand all the Richie Rod gloom and doom. Once he gets players that fit the offense -- particularly at QB -- he'll be fine.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Found the full quote Rich Rod quote on a BLOG!

" This is a public position. It's not like a politician, I'm not running for office. I mean, God bless them. They choose to have that public scrutiny. As coaches, we know it's part of the job, but we don't choose to have it. Most of us would rather not.

But the biggest thing that is disappointing is when somebody, not necessarily the media, but when a fan or somebody would make it personal to your coach or to your players. Especially to the players, because those guys are amateurs. When they would make a personal comment or say something that's not related to coaching or not related to playing.

I don't get on message boards. I don't think anybody, any of our players or family should. But it's amazing some of the things that people would say or amazing things people will yell at you of a personal nature. You almost want to tell them get a life. I mean, there's a whole lot bigger problems. You lose a ballgame, and then you look at the economy or after every game I usually get to meet one of our veterans or somebody. You know, to take it personal on a coach or player to me, I don't think it's ever right.

But I'm glad fans have passion, but it's still kind of I guess a lot more bolder. You all would know. It's a lot more bolder what people would say and write. Not you all, but bloggers or whatever, than it used to be. We've seen it coming for a few years."

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A far cry from, "Come after me! I'm a man, I'm 40!"

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Still, no mea culpa.

If the man didn't conduct himself like an epic asshole, he wouldn't have the problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted