1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rich Rod is apparently a HUGE Josh Grobin fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Dec 3, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Mizzou, correct me if I'm wrong but you are disinterested in Michigan football right? So why do you think Rich Rodriguez is a prick? Is it that you don't think he is a good person and think he is a sleezy Nick Saban-like coach? Or is it because you think he genuinely tried to cheat or do wrong regarding the NCAA violations or the alleged shredding of documents.

I realized he has faced a lot of criticism for allowing Michigan to be put on probation, and for the alleged document shredding. We know the whole thing has been a shitstorm - but why is he a prick? Someone mentioned it before a few posts up: why the personal attacks?

Do I have blinders on? Or is this guy really an unlikeable "prick" like say, Urban Meyer who's team is in constant trouble with the law and squabbles with reporters?

See, this is what makes me angry. I don't think anyone will argue that he came in with a new a agenda and riled the fan base, and that his teams have been somewhat sloppy and underperforming, and that he probably should have been more careful in regard to practice time. But do those things really make him a bad person?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does anyone think Stanford doesn't know what's going on? Do they have to wait for Kirk Herbstreet to make a "Les Miles-esque" announcement before they sign the guy to an extension? Or is it already happening behind closed doors?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wasn't Harbaugh in town early last week, before the Football Bust, which he did not attend even though they were honoring his 1985 team?

He may have talked to Brandon then.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stanford doesn't have a very good history keeping good football coaches. This would be a good time for them to step up and offer Harbaugh big money to stay.

5. Mizzougrad96

He didn't show.

6. Mizzougrad96

I would tend to agree with that. It will be interesting to see how many hundreds of times he's asked about the Michigan opening between now and the bowl game.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since the word is Stanford is ready to pony up with a new five-year deal to keep Harbaugh, it looks like Brandon is about to let his man slip away.

8. Mizzougrad96

I would laugh so hard if that's the case.

He might as well keep Rodriguez then.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mustang,

I just think Rodriguez' entire existence at Michigan has been a colossal embarrassment for the university and that's even before you get to the wins and losses.

I think he's a prick because he's thrown many a journalist under the bus over the years, telling one he's about to take a certain job and then coming back the next day and saying the reporter made it up. It's happened three times that I know of.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Stanford, "Okay Jim, Apparently you've had yourself a really good year. We wouldn't know because we don't really follow the team. Neither does anyone else really, if you'll look in the stands. So here it is: we're set to offer you the most money EVER offered to a Stanford coach. $670,000...and we'll throw in some Giants tickets. USC's not the ONLY big-time program, pal..."

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

A prime example of this came in 2006.

The night before the regular-season finale, a reporter (from one of WVU's fanzines) broke the story that Rodriguez was interested in the Alabama job. Reporter/co-host of a talk show broke the story during the show, which airs on the WVU flagship radio station. Incensed, Rodriguez called into the show a few minutes later, while that reporter was still in studio, to rip into him and his reporting, and said -- for the first of many times -- that he planned to be at WVU for as long as they'll have him.

A week later, WVU paid to fly Rodriguez and his wife to NYC for the college football hall of fame dinner (a WVU player was a finalist for the Draddy Award). Rodriguez then used the occasion to meet in a hotel room with Bama AD Mal Moore.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-12-06/sports/0612060148_1_alabama-football-coach-defensive-lineman-bryan-pata

12. Mizzougrad96

ESPN and SI reported that Rodriguez was taking the Bama job.

Their source? Rodriguez, who begged them not to quote him.

The next day he said they made up the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted