1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rich Rod is apparently a HUGE Josh Grobin fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Exactly. The boosterism has been so prevalent for so long that normal coverage of these large programs seems mean-spirited.

Rodriguez's team gave up 65 points to Illinois. That doesn't even require negative spin from a publication. Rodriguez hired greg Robinson.He's been investigated by the NCAA. Those are just the facts.

No hyperbole required. Rodriguez's tenure has been one gigantic shitstorm to the point that the state of Ohio is about to print up Be Nice To RichRod buttons so he'll stick around a few more years.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It may be time for him to go. Michigan's defense may stink.

That still doesn't justify the non-stop barrage of personal attacks, negative articles - some which are just petty -- from a bunch of whiny bitches who are offended because Rich Rodriguez isn't a "Michigan man" and doesn't kiss their asses.

And I am not a fan of the guy, nor do I give a rat's ass about Michigan or the Big Ten for that matter.

I'm just saying, as an outsider looking in, there are some in the Michigan media who should be ashamed of themselves.

This shit ain't personal, it should always be business.

And Starman - that is the point - all of these negative articles and non-stop stream of attacks read more like the stuff you'd read on fanboy message boards than what you are supposed to read in so-called respected publications.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not only should he be forced to leave coaching, but DickRod should surrender the man card for the Groban music

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think you have to name some names here.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In 2007, with the Appy State/Oregon losses, I thought the move on Lloyd Carr had come at the right time. I actually thought Michigan might go the way of Penn State, Tennessee and Florida State and hang onto Carr for too long.

Instead, they did the right thing and went in a new direction.

I truly thought Rodriguez was the right choice for the program. Something new and different for the Big Ten. Yet changing a massive culture like Michigan doesn't happen overnight. He seemed SO intent on getting "his guys" in there, at the expense of the wins and losses. If Rodriguez is such a genius, you telling me he couldn't find a way to work with a guy like Ryan Mallett?

As a Wisconsin fan, I'm happy if they keep Rodriguez for another year... but I think Michigan is better off with a new regime.

6. Rack. Dick Rod is a moron, above anything else. It is reflected in his conference record and in his pathetic defenses. scU-M would be better with Ralph Friedgen at the helm.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And part of that was Carr's fault. He said he should have retired a year before he did and admitted going into that Appalachian State underprepared because he was burnt out. Rosenberg ran a long feature about it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the Michigan AD really is considering making a move and doesn't evaluate Rodriguez until after the bowl game, then Rodriguez isn't the only person in Ann Arbor who should be canned.

9. If they wait until after the new year, R-Rod's buyout drops to less then $2 million.
    God knows how much money UM has already wasted on him. Might as well try to save a buck or two.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They don't need money. They might be one of the few programs in the nation that don't need to worry about money. They just paid some ungodly amount to build those massive luxury boxes and still finished 2009 with a mult-million dollar athletic surplus. They are added new lights, they're adding new scoreboards and spending money like it's going out of style - but they actually have money to spend.

Update: Just looked it up and the Michigan athletic department made a profit of somewhere between $8.8 million and $10.2 million last year and that was after paying for the stadium expansion.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That makes sense. They paid the guy's buyout from WVU, so if the only thing they have to do to save a couple mil is to let this prick twist in the wind for another month or so, I'm all for that. They may also know that Harbaugh isn't going to talk to them until after the bowl game. I'm guessing if they had to cut Rodriguez loose now in order to get Harbaugh, he'd already be gone.

For the record, after I had posted a couple weeks back that I didn't think Harbaugh would leave Stanford for Michigan, someone on this board who knows a thing or two about the Pac-10 let me know that I was a bit off on that statement. :D

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It could make sense to let DickRod and Harbaugh both coach their own bowl games, IF the intention is to hire Harbaugh at Michigan.

But if they don't want Harbaugh or he doesn't want to leave Stanford, waiting until January could be disastrous with all the big name coaches already hired by then.

Draft saved Draft deleted