1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rich Rod is apparently a HUGE Josh Grobin fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

U-M needs a football coach who listens to Metallica and MC5, not pussy emo sob shit like Josh Groban.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess what I mean is the lunatic fringe of each of those fan bases.

But given two hours to spend with a hardcore Notre Dame or Michigan fan or a hardcore Alabama or Georgia fan, I pick the SEC loon every time.

Because at least I don't get to hear about the SEC loon's SAT score.

3. +1

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Awesome.

@joshgroban Coach Rodriguez, I'm very flattered but crying to You Raise Me Up is SO five years ago. #playwelcometothejungle

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You raaaaise me uuuuuuuup, so we can lose to Utah...

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The defense sucks for a tornandic combination of reasons, including injuries, defections and Carr's inability to get guys in his final years. Where are all the seniors and fifth-year seniors that are supposed to be out there instead of all these true freshmen?

7. Starman

Rodriguez's defenses have not only been worse than Carr's, they've been the worst in school history. By a mile.

And Rodriguez ran a lot of the former Carr guys out of town.

Rodriguez has had two new DC's in three years. The defense has gotten worse, and worse, and worse with each new DC. If he has a new DC next year, what's the reason to think it will be any better?

8. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

There comes a point when you can't blame Lloyd Carr anymore. Say what you want about how Lloyd ran the team but he always had at least 8 wins and a great defense. Rich Rod hasn't recruited the defensive side of the ball and the players he has brought in have stunk. Complain all you want about bare cupboards and injuries but no other team in the Big Ten gives up as many points/yards as U-M. Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota all have better defenses and nowhere near the recruiting advantage/program prestige that U-M wields.
    There comes a point when deflecting blame becomes making excuses.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying a majority of the blame goes to Carr, but the fact remains. Carr's last two recruiting classes should have provided more than a starting linebacker and corner, two backup d-linemen and a backup linebacker.

There were three linebackers in Carr's final class -- a JUCO, a three-star and a two-star. The two-star transferred. The class before that there were three linebackers -- one was Brandon Graham, one transfered to Kent State and is two-time all-MAC and the other transfered as well.

That's zero upperclassmen depth.

And that's where the injuries and defections come in. Troy Woolfork was supposed to be a starting corner. He was Carr recruit. Out the whole season. Donovan Warren, who would have been the other starting corner, left early for the NFL and didn't get drafted.

Could Rodriguez recruit better? Absolutely. But you can't put true and redshirt freshmen out there in droves and expect them to shine right away.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Rodriguez should not be fired until after next season. It makes no sense at this point as he finally has his quarterback and his offense finally looked like it is supposed to. Give him one year to try and fix the defense and if it doesn't work out, that is four years and it is enough.

Of course, if you are going to come up with a fireable offense here it is - hiring Greg Robinson to run his defense. Who didn't know that was bound to be a disaster.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And I'll say one other thing - the so-called journalists in Michigan have been a disgrace in the way they have covered Rodriguez.

It is clear they didn't like him from day one and - as an outside looking in with no dog in this fight - it is almost to the point where it seems like they are going out of their way to try and make sure he gets fired.

12. Starman

Hilarious. The "journalists" in Michigan have kissed U-M ass for so many decades most have a faint blue blush around their lips.

Draft saved Draft deleted