1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rich Kids of Instagram Makes the WaPo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

One does a back-flip out of a helicopter near St. Tropez. Others snap pictures of their restaurant bills — allegedly paying thousands of dollars for lobster, champagne and high-end liquor.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In the warm patina of the Instagram, the youngsters appear to be living over-the-top lifestyles — and enjoying every moment.

“Our everyday is better than your best day,” reads one caption, a bit tauntingly. And, “Do you have a horse in your backyard? Didn’t think so.”

The Tumblr went viral, but the public hand-wringing goes on. Just what does it say about our culture that it so glamorizes excess?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/seen-rich-kids-of-instagram-about-that-gold-plated-ak-47/2012/08/17/c5bfdc40-e7ce-11e1-a3d2-2a05679928ef_blog.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I used to feel guilty about charging a burger and coke on my dad's tab at the country club when I played golf there as a teenager. I can't imagine dropping $100,000 on lunch on my parents' tab - even if they were kazillionaires.

3. Deeper_Background

Diet Cokes are expensive in St Tropez.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Who cares? If they have it, spend it.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BTW that's $131,000+.

I think the biggest laugh comes from the people who charged this guy $131,000.

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

As long as they tip.

7. Deeper_Background

Evian must be hard to find over there.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

$4 for THE?!?!?!? Outrageous! I use that word all ___ time, I can't spend that!

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Anyone know the local currency?

I was in Cozumel recently and dropped about nearly 5 grand on a bar tab but it was in pesos and about fifteen bucks.

The credit card receipt was in pesos though and looks insane.

And back before the euro, I had a brother live in Italy. He'd routinely drop a million for lunch but it was liras.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

THEY don't have it. Their parents have it.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Charge it to the Underhill's.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Atlas shrugged!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted