1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rich Kids of Instagram Makes the WaPo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

One does a back-flip out of a helicopter near St. Tropez. Others snap pictures of their restaurant bills — allegedly paying thousands of dollars for lobster, champagne and high-end liquor.
    In the warm patina of the Instagram, the youngsters appear to be living over-the-top lifestyles — and enjoying every moment.

“Our everyday is better than your best day,” reads one caption, a bit tauntingly. And, “Do you have a horse in your backyard? Didn’t think so.”

The Tumblr went viral, but the public hand-wringing goes on. Just what does it say about our culture that it so glamorizes excess?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I used to feel guilty about charging a burger and coke on my dad's tab at the country club when I played golf there as a teenager. I can't imagine dropping $100,000 on lunch on my parents' tab - even if they were kazillionaires.
  3. Deeper_Background

Diet Cokes are expensive in St Tropez.
  4. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Who cares? If they have it, spend it.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BTW that's $131,000+.

I think the biggest laugh comes from the people who charged this guy $131,000.
  6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

As long as they tip.
  7. Deeper_Background

Evian must be hard to find over there.
  8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

$4 for THE?!?!?!? Outrageous! I use that word all ___ time, I can't spend that!
  9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Anyone know the local currency?

I was in Cozumel recently and dropped about nearly 5 grand on a bar tab but it was in pesos and about fifteen bucks.

The credit card receipt was in pesos though and looks insane.

And back before the euro, I had a brother live in Italy. He'd routinely drop a million for lunch but it was liras.
  10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

THEY don't have it. Their parents have it.
  11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Charge it to the Underhill's.
  12. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

Atlas shrugged!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted