1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rice signs missle deal with Poland...what now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/world/europe/21missile.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

How much has US/Russian relations fallen in recent months?

I understand that this has been an on-going issue for quite sometime, but with what took place in Georgia and this accord being signed, what's to make with the relationship between America and Russia?

Lord help us if McCain is the next president. His feelings towards Russia are on the low side.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

McCain's temperament is completely wrong for this moment in history - bottom line.

He's quoted as saying that he looked into Putin's eyes and "saw a K, a G and a B."

That kind of talk is really going to be helpful.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

McCain was right though. Besides, what has pussyfootin' with Putin done? Jack shit.

Speak the truth and go from there. But speaking the truth doesn't mean you jump right to war either.

4. Poland is a NATO member, right? So in that context, is this really that big a deal?

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

There's a fine line between speaking the truth and shooting from the hip. The latter is not what a world leader does.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I agree. But I expect a milder tempermant coming from someone vying to become Commander in chief. I expect that talk from his goons rather than him.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

From the CNN.com article:
    It's an awful lot of saber-rattling. It may turn out to be much ado about nothing, but Russia clearly isn't pleased with the deal and has been feeling a bit frisky lately.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

God forbid we help an ally who has a history of being invaded by its neighbor help keep said neighbor from invading.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We have a current administration, as well as a groundswell of neo-conservatives (cowards) and a GOP presidential candidate who believe a renewed sense of "cold war" is politically advantageous and that they will do anything they can to underscore that perception between now and November. It's really quite pathetic and just the kind of thing that, as voters, we need to reject.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It amazes me that polls show McCain as being more trustworthy on foreign affairs, when the very same people oppose the Iraq war and think it was a mistake to go in. Boggles the mind.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact that every time he opens his mouth about the Middle East, he makes an inexcusable gaffe.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

It will be a damn shame for this issue to be politicized for ones gain...yet not surprising.

This issue has gone under the radar by the mainstream press in this country for quite some time now, and I guess it isn't shocking to any of us that the volume behind this issue will now be pumped up to benefit the guy whose always had Russia on his radar.

Draft saved Draft deleted