1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIAA sets its sights on Limewire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

You really are a braindead bitch, aren't you? If you forgot, YOU started in with the cursing. Here's your initial post, you dumb twat:

"You are so full of shit it's not even funny. If you think guys in indie acts are making decent money than you're an ignorant fuck who needs to STFU.
    The only people I download are Sheryl Crowe and Metallica. Fuck 'em. Everybody else I'm pretty much like IJAG. I need the jewel case and the liner notes."

IF i got your fav indie band wrong, I take it back. I did not, however, compare big to small.

3. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

Um, torrents rule.

4. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

You are the poster child for why the RIAA will never give up its fight.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Looks like someone isn't playing well with others.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A_F is everyone's friend.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The chick is no cripple.

a_f, on the other hand ...

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As long as you have Spy Sweeper, no worries.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Regardless of how you come down on the moral/immoral debate of file-sharing, it is clear that the RIAA is fighting a war it simply cannot win. No one is scared of the threat of lawsuit because the odds of a single user getting sued are pretty low. They shut down Limewire and someone else will come along. They have to find a new tactic. It is clear that vinegar is netting them no flies, so they need to switch to honey. Reduce license fees for online sellers and make prices so low that people will want to buy because $.49 a song is worth it to legally own a song that you know is not a Trojan horse for a virus. They need to recognize that file-sharing will never go away, so the key is not to eradicate it, but to set up systems that make buying music a more attractive option.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't bet on it. Microsoft is very much into "intlellectual property control," so the MP3-search-and-destroy viruses will be written right into Windows (and all the other OS's too).

One day you'll fire up your computer, try to play an mp3, and the whole thing will just grind to a halt.

THEN, the summons will come in the mail.

With, again, the full weight of The Gubbmint behind it. Good, honest corporate billionaires just trying to protect their investments. What's more American than that?? ;)

1. "No one is scared of the threat of a lawsuit?" Maybe YOU can afford legal fees and a few thousand-dollar judgment, but ae lot of people can't.

The RIAA will step up the lawsuits dramatically in the future. Most of them will be filed automatically, simply off of IP records. And, since the Judiciary, good corporate lapdogs that they are, have jumped enthusiastically on the bandwagon of protecting the poor helpless record companies, these lawsuits are going to be upheld. The Judiciary will treat most of them as traffic tickets, and the word of the RIAA as the testimony of the cops. "We have records that between 1999 and 2005, you downloaded xxxx x songs, at our prorated cost of $9.95 per song, the damages come to $XX,XXX.00" In other words, You Are Guilty, so Pay Up.

2. " It is clear that vinegar is netting them no flies, so they need to switch to honey." They're going to switch from vinegar to hydrochloric acid. They don't give a shit about any of these people as customers --- they just see them as potential sources of free revenue.

3. " Reduce license fees for online sellers and make prices so low that people will want to buy." Please tell me you're joking here. This is the RECORDING INDUSTRY we are talking about here. They have no interest, ever, in "making prices low." It will never happen.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just deleted Limewire from my computer...

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know I've said this before, but you scare the hell out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted