1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIAA sets its sights on Limewire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

My downloaded music collection was building slowly through Limewire, until my brother transferred his entire CD collection from his IPod. In 45 minutes, I got an extra 2,130 songs. Nice.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was an avid Limewire user until I got fed up with the viruses and spyware. Now I use BitTorrents and haven't seen the inside of a record store in probably three years.

Fuck the RIAA.

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

With this lawsuit, i wont be going to limewire anymore. Not need for me to download some bullshit song and get busted and fine $20,000. Because if you actually own shit (a house, a small buisness, etc), they will come after you. Even if you don't, they will. IF they catch you.

I'll just make a running list of songs i like ... and when the new free site opens, i'll be all over it. You know someone in Sweden or Argentina is bound to start another one. There's another one every month.

I will NEVER pay for music again.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The RIAA is working on Internet-transmitted viruses which will infect hard drives, seek out unregistered media files, corrupt and destroy them, and report back user info to the RIAA. So eventually, you'll receive your summons in the mail.

And, since it's billion-dollar businessmen protecting their profit margin, the basis of the free-enterprise system, they'll be doing so with the full support and assistance of Our Government.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Totally.

I will pay for music. I pay for music fairly often on iTunes. If it's a small band on a small label, like Pinback or Dogs Die In Hot Cars, I'll buy it. If I'm seeking The Police's "King of Pain," ain't no way I'm paying for that. That's my dichotomy.
    I hope they take the time to build Mac viruses to ruin 6.3% of the market. They'd be among the first.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The RIAA does not represent 99 percent of the music I download. I could give two fucks.

MPAA will be fucked next. Once these cheap Divx (reads .avi files) DVD players start hitting the shelves in massive numbers...look the fuck out. I already have two of these machines and they are wonderful.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm with Passy on this one ... I download a single here or there in Limewire, but if it's a band I really like (lately Muse, Snow Patrol, Rainer Maria), I don't have a problem dropping the $10 for the record on iTunes. They have to make a living, ya know.

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

translation time

'they have to make a living, you know'

'the MILLIONAIRES have to make a living, you know'

and yes, even those small bands make money. performances, tours, merch ...

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you think a small act like Rainer Maria is rolling in it like Eminem is, then you don't know shit about the music industry.

10. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

he doesn't know much about anything

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Rainer Maria works for whatever label they happen to be on. For major artists like Eminem, the record company works for them.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Anyone who knows me knows I spend far too much money on CDs. I don't even buy the disc off iTunes, I go buy it at Best Buy (I love having the jewel case and the liner notes).

But for random songs like "Cantaloop?" Hello Limewire.

Draft saved Draft deleted