1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ri-cola!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, it's the cold and flu season.

What's your "go to" cough drop?

I usually get the grocery store generic version of lemon-flavored Halls.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not much on cough drops. Ludens probably, even though they're as much candy as anything else.

Now, hot tea and honey, yes. Bourbon, honey, and lemon, either mixed in a mason jar and taken by the spoonful or in a teacup with hot water added, oh very yes.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I prefer homemade-- Sugar with a little Jameson poured over it as my cough drop / syrup

I also try to be pro active by constantly washing my hands. Especially when I flying a lot on
    commercial airliners. Those planes can carry a lot of germs this time of year.

I keep sanitizer everywhere. I like that many airports now have hand cleaner stations throughout
    airport.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In my 20s/30s I used to catch a horrendous sore throat/coughing thing for 3-4 weeks every October/November -- actually right about this time of year, now that I remember it.

I used to slurp down Luden's cherry cough drops by the bagful. Funny because I don't particularly like cherries on anything else. I'd grab a few boxes of lemon too just to switch things up, but mainly I stuck with the cherry.

About when I turned 40, my annual throat affliction went away. No idea why.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Halls vitamin C drops by the handful. If I feel a cold coming on, I'll get a big bag and eat probably 20 a day, until I start to feel a sore spot developing in the inside of my mouth. I think each one has as much vitamin C as a glass of orange juice (or at least 100 percent of the recommended dosage for the day).

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a bad history with coughs. Even a little cold inflames my bronchial passage and it triggers an asthma problem. I also cough when I exercise in cold weather -- I never realized it, but they were linked. When a cold or flu triggers that cough, it won't go away on its own. It usually takes steroids to get rid of it -- otherwise, I walk around hacking for weeks and sounding like I have tuberculosis.

Cough drops don't help much. If I do take them, they have to have menthol. So I get the nastiest tasting ones, the Halls mentho-lyptus. Not a cough drop, but Mucinex is pretty good for a cough.

7. Boom_70

Break out the Ri-cola if you are in NYC. It seems like flu season has started early

The New York Times ‏@nytimes 13m13 minutes ago

Breaking News: Patient in New York City Tests Positive for Ebola http://nyti.ms/1ozqDM0

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't have a go-to, but normally the Halls honey or lemon. And I've found that the Simply Saline nasal spray and the Neti pot help immensely during allergy season. And trust me, you get used to the Neti pot once you realize it works.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you're serious about it, Fisherman's Friend is a different class of cough drop. It hurts it's so strong, but it works much better than any of the candies.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Gotta be serious about your cough supressants, my friend.

11. Boom_70

Nothing to see here move along.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 13m13 minutes ago

NYC Mayor de Blasio: Ebola not spread through casual contact; no reason to be alarmed. http://www.cnn.com/go/

Draft saved Draft deleted