1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden: The dragnet only hauls in the top black athletes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ike Broflovski, Nov 19, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Wrong. Enabling within the black community is one reason things never get better. Read "There Are No Children Here."

Rhoden's bogeyman crap creates a very good diversion instead of ever addressing the real issues confronting black America.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bubbler, they were the only three black mothers in the room out of 30 and none of them were happily married.

That's just stating a fact. Trust me, I wish all of those women had husbands and homes to go home to, and I wish their kids did as well.

4. OK, and the connection of your meaningless anecdote to the topic under discussion would be, what?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Rhoden failed to mention Giambi, who was also brought in to testify. The difference in reaction to Bonds and Giambi comes down to Giambi telling the truth while Bonds lied.

On top of this, Rhoden fails to recognize that there isn't any athlete equal in stature to Bonds. The guy just broke the all-time home run record. The only person that is even comparable is A-Rod and A-Rod isn't white.

For Rhoden to try and argue that equal time is necessary, he would need to present someone that is equal. Is there a white athlete that is equal to Bonds? I say no.

Jones became a target because she spent years denying that she ever used steroids. Is there a white athlete that even compares to Jones? Again, I can’t even think of one.

I will also state that just because Rhoden can’t think of the last time the federal government went after a dog fighting ring does not mean they didn’t go after dog fighting rings.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

**cough, cough Gary Sheffield cough, cough **

7. Read it. Also read a number of other books.
    Because there is, of course, no longer white racism anywhere in this nation and the scary black people are responisble for their own damn problems.
    Like I said, we're off.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Lance.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Notably absent from that piece is any suggestion that Vick, Jones, Bonds, Pac Man, or Tank are actually innocent of the crimes they've been accused of. He might have a point if he could point to a pattern of wrongfully accused black athletes being prosecuted, but I can hardly fault the Government for prosecuting the guilty. That's their job, what does Rhoden think they should've done, simply ignore evidence of crimes being committed to avoid the appearance of a pattern?

10. 93Devil

That there is no problem in black America. It's only a perceived problem.

I saw the problem last night first hand. If black men would take a more active role in being fathers, then the other problems would start to be solved down the road.

There is no quick fix, but you need to get to the roots to stop something from keep growing back.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Actually, yeah. I should have drawn that comparison.

Lance Armstrong is definitely equal in stature to Marion Jones. The difference is that in going after BALCO, Armstrong didn't come up. Had his name surfaced, I would have expected him to be raked over the coals as well.

12. 93Devil

Forgot about him.

Maybe is mature new girlfriend will talk some sense into him and come clean.

Draft saved Draft deleted