1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden skips Wimbledown, writes anyway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1906264/

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If I'm reading the column right, Rhoden was on vacation, not working. Leaving turned out to be a bad decision, but the column itself was not a bad scene-setter.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was my thought as he was getting shredded on the Wimbledon thread. It's not like he just packed up from the press box and left.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It reads like he was there to cover the event but decided to leave. I was under the impression that he brought his family along and wondered if that was on his or the company's dime.
    If he was on vacation, that makes this a completely different story.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

7. Yeah, the other thread conveniently left out the part about Rhoden saying he was on a tennis vacation. I saw nothing wrong with what he did or him writing about it. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Just curious: Had Rhoden and his wife bought tickets to the Wimbledon final in advance? That's where they wanted to go on their vacation? First off, that's kind of a busman's holiday, right?

Also, they went to the trouble and expense of purchasing tickets to the Wimbledon final (I'm assuming it's a tough ticket) even though they're so disintered in tennis they skipped out of what was supposedly the greatest match in years to watch Hancock?

This seem odd to anyone else?

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

You suggesting that dog won't hunt?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He left with Nadal up 2-0. Wasn't there also a rain delay? Faced with the prospect that what had been a one-sided match might not even resume, I could see myself checking out to go see a movie.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Especially since it was abundantly clear to most professional observers that Hancock is a POS.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Not at all. It's just strange. Obviously, Bill Rhoden is entitled to go where he wants on his vacation. If he wants to blow his cash on tickets to a high-end sporting event and then skip out before halftime, it's his party.

One thing I'd personally like to see is confirmation that he bought tickets, rather than using his status as a New York Times columnist to gain entry. Because once you do that -- other ethical concerns aside -- wouldn't you be "back on the clock" and compelled to stay for the duration?

Draft saved Draft deleted