1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rhoden on randy moss...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jan 29, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

no mention of latest allegations by miami woman wit a restraining order against him. thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/sports/football/30rhoden.html?ref=sports

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What, everyone that writes about Randy Moss has to write the same thing?

I thought the same thing Rhoden did while watching Moss' press conference highlights, as far as Moss being personable. Actually, I've thought it quite a few times this year.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

no, but it's why media tuesday is such a joke. as if a 60-minute presser, when the nfl orders you to be there, is the stage to judge whether a guy's been misjudged for years. anybody can be charming for 60 minutes.

moss has been a dickhead for most of his career. he admits he was "an angry man" when he was younger. hey, if he's genuinely a good apple now after stealing a paycheck from the raiders for two years, more power to him. in light of the miami woman's accusations -- which my be false, granted -- i just think moss is a very poor choice of bad boys turned good to get behind.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don Banks wrote a piece about Moss for SI.com on how entertaining Moss is when he talks, and that he didn't disappoint at media day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/29/snap.judgments/index.html

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I liked Rhoden's message, but I could care less what the people in the media room thought of how Moss spoke. But that's just me.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Angry at the game of football. The game that made him a fortune.

Very weak stuff.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Consider the muse.

8. You don't think it's possible?
    How do you think Andre Waters felt about football?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been critical of Rhoden in past but in this case thought it was a fine column.

He provided a perspctive of Randy Moss which we rarely have seen.

I do buy into the idea that Moss has matured as a person . Hell - we all do.

One of things that made this column work is that Rhoden did not play the race card as he usually does with this type of athlete story.

We have threads upon threads of "Rhoden the Apoligist" but this is not one of them.

If the story was a feature as opposed to column it would have made more sense to bring up the allegations.

10. Herbert Anchovy

That crap is as old as the hills. Reluctant warrior. Becomer of all one once held in contempt. They're not Rhoden's words, they're Moss' own. "I was angry at the game of football." Goodness gracious. And people think this guy's grown up?

Waters came to view himself as an honest-to-God kind of Christian warrior late in his career, which leads back to that business on the books thread about severe trauma triggering a fierce sense of religiosity in the synapses. I believe that, anyway.

11. Your point being that no longer being angry at football equates to being grown-up? That's exactly what Moss is saying about himself. How is he, therefore, not a "grown up"?
    And Andre Waters sacrificed his cognitive life to a game.
    This is a waste.

12. Herbert Anchovy

My message was sloppily and hastily written. My bad. (Own brain is frozen custard this morn).

Andre Waters might have sacrificed his cognition for a stupid game -- and let's face it, it's fucking stupid ... but few in the NFL came from as far back as he did. From a shack that barely deserves the name to one of the centerpieces on the baddest defense in the NFL ... what a country. Bowden's chapter on Waters in his Eagles book nails this, just nails it. (Waters was one of his favorites during his time on the beat). There's a sad and beautiful anecdote in there about Andre as a boy asking his grandmother if he can take ducks home from while visiting her farm, and she told him he couldn't until he got off the 'Glades.

Anyway, I wish for once someone would stand up in a 60-minute presser and say, "You know what guys, I was a pissy fuck-up when I was 22." How hard can it be? Hell, I'd say it of myself! But, instead, we get something different. Silly self-analytical bullshit. Moreover, I don't know that Randy Moss has the same medical history as Waters had to be pissed off at a sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted