1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden - NFL News Media Shows Bias

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 24, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Weighing in even though I've never really read Rhoden and don't have a large body of work to reference...

Is race still an issue for some people? Of course. There are isolated pockets, if you will, of NFL people who still have race as a factor, but for the average fan, it's all about winning, not color. If you think otherwise, at least among the average fan, you're wrong. When Vince Young was a possible pick for the Texans last year, Houstonians OVERWHELMINGLY wanted him picked. The guy was a hometown hero, had led the Longhorns to a title and appeared a possible successor to David Carr.

And not once during the buildup to the draft was there ever even a hint that race was a factor, plus or minus. People simply wanted Vince.

So in this case, without any previous evidence, I would say Rhoden got this one wrong. There may still be some people who have issues with race (at least within the NFL), but this isn't a widespread issue anymore.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Henry - you are changing your story. Here is another one of your posts from Jake Scott thread when questioned as to why you were using Henry Hect handle:

Based on that post one can only conclude that you are now lying to us.

The membership of SportsJournalists.com does not tolerate liars.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

if i had wanted to honor Henry Hecht i would have chosen that handle.

i chose to honor slobodan henryhecht.

boom, if this board doesn't tolerate liars, it certainly doesn't tolerate racists.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Henry you are a serial liar . You put it in print that you chose the name to honor henry hect the sportwriter and now you deny it.

Please - I urge you to find me some examples of this racism.

5. beardown

beardown Member

I think the questions Rhoden tried to infer as racist are completely viable. If the Raiders want to spend eight figures on the QB of the future, it's worth finding out if he's Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler or Akili Smith. Russell's got the physique of Oliver Miller; that brings in questions about footwork and bending over to take the snap. That has nothing to do with race.

I think Rhoden's trying to make a race a big deal in a negative way when every media organization is bending over backward to make it a big deal in a positive way. Every news outlet did fluffy pieces about Lovie an Tony for their success -- deservedly so. It seems like race-baiting is a crutch for columnists like Rhoden, making every molehill of adulation into a mountain of doubt.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree with the spirit of your take, and Russell does carry some extra pounds in the offseason, but he does not have the physique of Oliver Miller. If you'd seen him in form-fitting gear you'd know that, but I suspect you're going by reports or some of the more unflattering photos I've seen of him in baggy, bunched-up clothes.

Seeing him at practice every day for four years, I'd marvel at his frame and how he probably could carry another 15 pounds on it, and then I'd see a photo in the office from the same practice and think he looked fat. There are valid concerns about his nutrition and conditioning in the offseason, but he's no Oliver Miller -- not yet, anyway.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

boom, just two of your posts from recent months - god knows what trash is further back:

"Probably saves you from being mugged when you are slumming on Blue Hill ave"

"What next - K mart as gunman with AI behind wheel ?"

boom, would you say those two posts maybe are stereotyping blacks and black neighborhoods?
    your obsessive and snide commentary about rhoden and NBA gangsta fans and hip-hop culture is classic 'coded' racism -

and you don't like the handle i'm using. yeesh. what gall.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Think Rhoden will write about Jeff being pushed out of Philly because Andy doesn't want Donovan to cry anymore?

Draft saved Draft deleted