1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden - NFL News Media Shows Bias

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Newspapers are like a dinner plate for me. I have to eat or read everything that is served.

I assume since Bill is a columnist that he does not expect everyone to agree with him.

The counterpoints raised here to his work are not unreasonable. He has written about the black QB bias at least 6 times in past two months. In 2007 I just do not think it exists in the NFL.

If he still thinks there is a bias why is he using Russell as his example? Why not use Chris Leak or Troy Smith - black QB's who could be more easily pushed aside because in some circles they are not thought of as traditional NFL QB's.

2. boots

boots New Member

Give Bill a call. He answers the phone.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I can appreciate that, but a story that alleges bias in the news media goes beyond the usual "you don't have to read it" disclaimer. This column is put together sloppily to force the appearance of old stereotypes dogging a young black quarterback. Rhoden found time to quote James Harris directly on the subject, but when it came to clearly showing us the alleged bias that was the whole point of the column, he gave us only that Russell was "peppered with questions," even about his commitment to football.

I'd like to read the questions. I'm guessing they weren't as damning as Rhoden wants us to believe. He quoted Harris. Why not quote the "biased" media?

I finally did Google, and the first story I found described a list of questions a good reporter would ask any aspiring NFL quarterback. LSU folks I know said Russell showed up about 12 pounds heavier than his playing weight, wearing a baggy shirt that gave the appearance of a gut. If reporters see that, are they not allowed to question the work ethic and commitment of someone whose future will be shaped by this draft? Is that automatically a "bias" on their part?

I read the column again, and it bothers me more the second time than the first. It's not intellectually honest, in my opinion.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

enough with the rhoden threads.

all the racist trolls appear - like vampires at night.

5. Boom_70

JD - you nailed it- its not an intellectually honest column.

6. boots

boots New Member

I'm not a racist. Bill is good people and he actually laughs at the stuff written here. He only wishes that those who write anonymously would give him a call.

7. Boom_70

Yeah right Henry. We'll stop the Rhoden threads when you stop misreprenting yourself as Henry Hect.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Henry Hecht was the NY baseball writer.

slobodan henryhecht was a 16th century croatian composer.

different spelling.

but slobodan henryhecht was white. so put away your venom.

9. Boom_70

Henry - you are changing your story. This is what your wrote on Jake Scott thread:

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There are a lot of charges of racism being thrown out without citing names or specifics. It's the vagueness of it that bothers me, here and in the column.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i can borrow his name, but didn't.
    i borrowed slobodan henryhecht's name.
    yes, i respect Henry Hecht.
    but not nearly as much as slobodan henryhecht.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sooner or later, a measure of racebaiting (from the usual suspects) frequently leaks in on the fringes of these discussions. It sucks. But for BR to dismiss his critics because of the ingrained attitudes of a couple of whackjobs is equally ludicrous. Until BR acknowledges and faces some relevant facts he always conveniently ignores in his one-way diatribes, he's going to continue to get hammered here
    by people looking for a well-rounded, rational line of logic in BR's pieces -- and not finding it, in most cases.

Draft saved Draft deleted