1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden - NFL News Media Shows Bias

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 24, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Rhoden's black and you don't like his columns, so he must be an affirmative action hire, right? Gee, I wonder where Rhoden gets the idea that race is still an issue.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rhoden is the one with the news media bias.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rhoden's black? How'd you guess?

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Rhoden's an affirmative action hire? How'd YOU guess? Because I'm betting you don't have an iota of evidence to back up that assumption. The guy is a columnist for the NYT, an author of critically well-received books and generally has a resume that would compare favorably to almost any sports writer in the country, yet you try to reduce him to an affirmative-action hire. I guess you were trying to be funny, but that's exactly the kind of bullshit attitude that minorities still have to put up with. Rhoden would probably thank you for making his point for him.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Race is certainly still an issue in many places and many ways, but not always in the square-peg way Rhoden seems to try to constantly force into a round hole in which that peg used to fit.

6. Boom_70

BJ I respect your posts here and your knowlege but in this case Rhoden is beating a dead horse. Go back and look at his columns since November and count how many times he has written about this same topic.

The horse Rhoden should be writting about is the one about Pro athletes such as Pac man Jones who are out of control.

BTW - great picture of one of my all time favs- Clyde

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

JD and Boom, I don't disagree with most of what you said. Rhoden does hammer on racial issues a lot, obviously, and sometimes his points are a real stretch. But it seems to me that a lot of people on here think he's always completely wrong, and that's not the case. You really think everyone in the NFL is color-blind, that there are no talent evaluators who are a little more skeptical of JaMarcus Russell's intelligence or work ethic than they would be if he were white? Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy were supposed to be no big deal, because supposedly nobody cares about the color of an NFL coach's skin anymore? I think that's naive.

If Rhoden had written a column saying that black columnists, no matter how successful, still have to deal with that attitude that they're just affirmative action hires, people would have laughed him out of town on this board. But then you have heyabbott showing that attitude does in fact exist. Call Rhoden a one-trick pony if you want, but his general message -- that sports isn't the color-blind meritocracy that many people would like to believe -- has a lot of validity to it.

8. Boom_70

Rhoden displays no balance to his thought process and I think that greatly hurts his credibility.

Whitlock on other hand is very balanced in his positions. He is willing to take stands that are equally unpopular in both white and black communitites

9. Johnny Dangerously

My problem is it sometimes seems he tries to make his general message fit every story, and assuming it does without doing the legwork is intellectually lazy and dishonest. Did I miss the quotes from NFL talent evaluators questioning Russell's intelligence or work ethic? If so, I apologize.

If I didn't, did I miss the code words? If so, I apologize.

If I didn't, then it's a risky business for Rhoden to project what people are thinking.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

JD: Yes, I have seen and heard things which establish the linkage to which you refer. Work ethic is the question . . .

Can't steer you to specifics, I'm afraid. Perhaps Googling might dredge something up.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Nah. No thanks.

I expect someone who's writing about the topic -- in this case, Rhoden -- to give me those specifics and not just throw out the notion that they're out there so he can spin his EP again. I shouldn't have to go looking for them, not about something like this.

12. boots

boots New Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you don't like what Bill writes, you don't have to read it. He's a good guy. A knowledgeable guy and someone I would jump in a foxhole with in a minute.

Draft saved Draft deleted