1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden: In Name of Social Justice Expand the Tournament.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/15rhoden.html?ref=ncaabasketball

William Rhoden column promoting increase to 96 teams in the name of equality for all.

"So let’s open up the N.C.A.A. tournament to 31 more teams.

This is as much about promoting social justice as expanding a tournament. In an era when being on the right side of history means promoting inclusion, the N.C.A.A. would be right to expand the invitation list. Why not? "

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is this where I'm supposed to sarcastically yell, ``Everyone gets a trophy!!!!!''?

3. Boom_70

"Everyone gets money" might be more apt.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bill knows the MEAC is still only going to get one team in an expanded tournament, right?

5. And probably a first-round bye, since they are apparently exempt from the play-in game.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fuck Bill Rhoden.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some trains never run late.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anybody who fucks with this tournament should be shot.

It's bad enough there is a play-in game. That's pathetic.

DO NOT FUCK WITH THE MOST PERFECT SPORTING EVENT WE HAVE!!!!

9. Boom_70

Amen -- I still long for the time when there was just 16.

The over promoted David vs Goliath thing makes me nauseous.

10. The reason the coaches want 96 is so that the Tournament is really 64 Goliaths, or as close to that as they can work it.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

While the MEAC is pretty awful most years, this one included, they usually produce one respectable team in the mess, and as long as they win the conference tournament, they'll often get a 15. Morgan State beat Arkansas and kept it respectable with Louisville and Murray State this season, and had things shaken out a little differently in other conferences, I could have seen them getting a 14.

The MEAC probably should ditch its tournament. Too often, they don't send their best team to the NCAAs because of it, and besides, everyone's at the CIAA tournament.

12. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Seth Greenberg agrees with Bill Rhoden

Draft saved Draft deleted