1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden: Don't fire Randolph for Mets' collapse, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes. If only Mr. Randolph had chosen a better battalion of ball boys, the entire season might have been saved.

And I'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to get a thread locked as quickly and efficiently as you do, boots. That Lasorda thread, and your witless bigoted hypocritical wisecrack, was locked right around 9am. I hadn't even finished my second cup of coffee.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Could it be that the Mets weren't as good as we all thought? Minaya added a lot of costly older players (Alou, Green, etc...etc...etc...) in the last two seasons. They didn't have a true No. 1 starter, someone who could end a losing streak and go deep into games. The bullpen was older and overworked.

But to blame the clubhouse kids and bat boys is the height of silliness. They had nothing to do with the Mets choking.

3. boots

boots New Member

Pick your fight elsewhere old man river. The laSorda thread was locked because your cohort in fighting decided to make his attack on me public instead of taking it to PM. Just as you are doing now.
    But hey, you have a problem with resin and rosin so I wouldn't expect you to comprehend where I'm coming from.
    Look, do me a favor. If your next post IS NOT ABOUT Rhoden, or the Mets, either send it as a PM or keep it to yourself.
    I'm asking you to do this because this was a good thread. It doesn't need to be locked over foolishness. If you truly cared about the way threads are, you would take my suggestion to heart.
    You have the ball now jcmacg. What are you going to do?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe we can salvage this thread from its unfounded and unfortunate beginning - and its rapidly decaying middle - by asking this:

How does a team choke?

Is it all psychological? Is some of it physical? Spiritual?

And which of these, specifically, can we find in the Mets big bowl of fail?

5. boots

boots New Member

Thank you for your effort.
    I've talked to psychologists, psychiatrists, spiritualists, etc. There is no secret to success in team sports. You've got 40 people thinking 40 different ways at any particular time but their one common interest is to win. What you are asking can't be explained.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It's a collection of a team knowing they don't have enough to hold a lead. The Mets knew their bullpen was a shoddy put together type of mess and teams exploited that. They beat up on their starters late in the season to force Randolph to use the pen. When a team knows they aren't sending the best out there, it can have an adverse effect on their mind.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've got the mental picture of the hypnotist in the clubhouse scene from The Natural...

You're on a boat, gently rocking...

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think that the players were banking on Pedro coming back and salvaging the season, lifting them into the playoffs. All season long, when they were asked about him, the Mets said, "Wait 'til we get Pedro back. Then we'll be rolling."

But for a team that was supposedly chock full of talent--the National League's most talented team, said some--why look at Martinez as the savior?

9. boots

boots New Member

Hypnotism has long been an athlete's friend. It helped Ken Norton the first time he fought Muhammad Ali.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In retrospect, I think the Mets' front office got a little too smart for its own good. They thought they could patch together a veteran staff (Glavine, El Duque, Martinez) along with a couple young guys (John Maine and Oliver Perez) but they didn't have a true No. 1 and they're bullpen never came together like last year to make up for the four- and five-inning starts. Between health issues and the lack of a stopper, their problems finally caught up with them. That's how you end up giving Humber his first MLB start in the final week. Lots of work to be done on the pitching staff during the off-season.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

buh... buh... buh... the GM is a supergenius. I know this because he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated...

12. boots

boots New Member

They're not alone. Pitching, or the lack of quality pitching, is a problem for practically every MLB team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.