1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden: Don't fire Randolph for Mets' collapse, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

One reason why he speaks about race relations in sports is because too many brush it under a rug. A lot of what he says is true but there are many who don't like it because it's Bill Rhoden talking and not Woody Paige.
    On this particular subject, there are people who are afraid to bring race into the picture. Race may have had a bearing on Willie's getting hired because MLB wanted a black in management and what better place to spotlight (or exploit) someone than in NYC.
    However, being black is not the reason why the Mets collapsed. It was a group effort from the top management down to the ball boy.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why is it the ball boy's fault?

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ball boy is a tennis term.

Batboy is the baseball equivalent.

#3.

4. boots

boots New Member

No, Ball boy. There is a ball boy AND a bat boy on many teams. If you covered MLB, you'd know that. But you enjoy picking fights with me. OkIt's Monday. It's 10 a.m. est. How soon do you want this page locked? I'm sure you can get it done by 10:03 a.m.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I blame the ball girl.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't see how this columnn is any great defense of Willie -- other than some references to his not deserving to be fired -- nor is there any racial tone to it at all.
    Of course, some people here have to go off on Rhoden anytime he writes anything that mentions a black player, coach or manager.

There were a number of columns by white columnists this week saying Willie deserves a lot of the blame but does not deserve to be fired. Why aren't they mentioned?
    Maybe it's because the fool who started this thread is a racist.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

#8.

While it's true that there are "ball boys" in baseball, in general usage the predominant term of art would be "batboy." In the same way that football officials - some of whom are actually "umpires" - are generally referred to as "referees."

In fact, there many more "ball boys" in football than there are in baseball.

As a personal matter, do you use "resin bag" or "rosin bag" when you write your MLB stories?

8. boots

boots New Member

What are you trying to do jckmag? Pick a fight with me or inform people? There is no such thing as a resin bag. There is however such a thing as a rosin bag.
    Now, what does that have to do with Willie Randolph or Rhoden's column?
    If you can explain it other than the fact you want pick an early morrning fight or you want to get the thread locked or you're just being your usually 45-plus year-old self, I'm not interested. Send it in a PM. This was a good thread until you woke up.
    I don't know what the number 8 means but it doesn't pertain to the topic, what's the problem with keeping it as a PM?
    Slappy, I blame everyone in the organization for the team's collapse.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, geez.... what did the poor Ball (or Bat) Boy do?

10. boots

boots New Member

They reported for work with that Mets insigna on the front of their jersey.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh. Yes, I can see where that had everything to do with Tom Glavine not getting out of the first inning.

12. boots

boots New Member

Tom Glavine wasn't the sole reason they lost the division. He was a big reason why they lost Sunday, but this was a total group effort. No one person can take the hit for the entire organization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.