1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden: Don't fire Randolph for Mets' collapse, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/sports/baseball/01rhoden.html?ref=sports

In related news:

- Pavlov rings bell, dog salivates

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Speaking of dogs:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The columnist I really can't wait to read on this fiasco?

Loopy.

I'm sure somehow he'll work in that the Mets were fighting for the division title unlike the Yanks.

And I'm a HUGE Mets guy and non-Yankees guy. But watching Angry Brainy Smurf squirm through his wordplay is almost worth this collapse.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Everyone always calls for the manager's head when things go bad. That's the simplistic answer. Did Randolph make a lot of strategic decisions different down the stretch than he did for the first five months of the season? He can only keep putting the players out there that he's given. The Mets were chided most of the year for lack of pitching. Did it finally catch up with them? How much of that is Randolph's fault?

Gene Mauch remained Philly's manager for four years after their famous collapse. He didn't go without a managerial job until 1983. He wasn't canned after the Angels choked away the ALCS in 1986 either.

So to point to a columnist simply to make fun of his opinion that someone shouldn't be fired for this collapse is nonsense. Dissect the column and provide counterpoints to support your contention, rather than imply that Rhoden is standing up for the black man.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

C'mon man do you really want that? That's maybe a 10,000 word post from Rok.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fixed!

7. s'chick --
    The Indianapolis Peytons revival seems to have you in a better mood.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

Congratulations, SP, you're the first person ever to criticize a Rokski post for not writing enough.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm not criticizing him for not writing enough, I'm criticizing him for a bullshit post.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, that's been done.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I am nothing if not a fangirl, FB, and damned proud of it.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sports Predictor --

If you want a long, drawn-out breakdown of my thoughts on Rhoden and why he is not, and never will be, a Ralph Wiley, just go to the search function on the top of SJ and look up "Rhoden rokski." I've already covered very similar terrain here. Unfortunately for Bill, he's earned his 'boy who cried wolf' reputation when it comes to issues of race. That's not my fault, it's his.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.