1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden Defends Marbury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Two columns out of three in past week defending Stephon Marbury.

With apologies to Greeg Doylie leave it to Bill Rhoden to find a way to defend the indefensible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/sports/basketball/28rhoden.html?_r=1&ref=sports

2. And Boom's obsessions get the better of him again.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If D'Antoni doesn't leave an opening you could drive a truck through, Rhoden's got nothing, here.

But D'Antoni did.

Tough to root for either side, on this one. Given D'Antoni's (non!)-defensive philosophy, he'll fail at MSG, sooner or later.

4. Ben --
    Lebron James said last week that he and D'Antoni -- who's never won a damn thing -- have a personal bond dating back to the Olympics. For the next two seasons, D'Antoni has better job security than the pope.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FB--

I well-understand the politics involved here. It gives the guy
    a big edge. It doesn't give the guy the right to be a pre-emptive,
    manipulative putz.

I can think of few greater potential sporting tragedies than LeBron eventually becoming a Knick under the present ownership.

6. True dat.
    If I'm Marbury, I'm telling him to jam it, too.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rhoden doesn't defend anyone in that column.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Can't understand why they just didn't tell Marbury to stay home all season. I guess trying to humiliate him would lead him to agree to a cheaper buyout.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who signs him if he is released?

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement. Rhoden has backed the wrong horse many times, but he doesn't seem to be staunchly defending Marbury. If anything, the message I got from the column is that nobody is handling this situation well. But then again, they are the Knicks and MSG.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

lol, Marbury is now suspended for a game!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3731403

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If he told the truth to The Post, Coney Island's Finest goes to the Italian League.

Draft saved Draft deleted