1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden breaks new ground in Sunday Column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Jan 7, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Joe, you hit it right on the head, my friend. If only someone could convince Rhoden of what you're saying.

H.A. - thanks a bunch for posting the article. That certainly helps me and my tight wallet stay up with things. Much obliged, my man! :) Keep up your excellent work.

2. chubster

chubster Member

Abbott,
    It's HIS opinion. Columnists write about what they want. So he still sees this as an issue, even if you don't, what's the problem?
    BTW, his book $40 million Slave is a great read.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Um, quick clarification. Bill isn't 20 years late on the issue.
    He's been writing it for 20 years. Almost, 30 in fact.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

you don't have to pay $50 for the new york times select if you have nexis. i just checked, and today's columns from Dave Anderson and George Vecsey are already up.

it's a wonderful thing, that nexis.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm sure he has. But that's not the point.

He is suggesting that two black QBs starting the BCS title game is some incredible milestone. It's not.

6. fishwrapper

Well, it is the point. It was your point.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm not going to go around in circles here, but please re-read my initial post. Never did I say that Rhoden hasn't written about the situation of black QBs for some time.

If this is his contention, yes, he's about 20 years too late.

8. fishwrapper

Here's another circle...And this is why I don't understand your point...
    He never says it is the first or best or newest or latest.

His point is "milestone" and "marker" and "triumph."

(I can't believe I'm in Bill Rhoden's corner.)

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the subject matter, but Rhoden ironically falls into the same trap as many of the people he is ridiculing, pinning attributes typically associated with a specific race on a pair of quarterbacks who don't really have them.

He lumps Troy Smith and Chris Leak in with Vince Young and Michael Vick, when both are much more similar to white quarterbacks -- Drew Brees and Jeff Garcia.

"The revolution isn't coming, it's here, and it's going to be televised. . ."

Smith and Leak aren't part of the revolution. They are more Fran Tarkenton than Michael Vick.

Tommie Frazier and Charlie Ward? They were the start of the revolution.

To me, the game's significance is the fact that it features two black quarterbacks who AREN'T stereotypical "black" quarterbacks. I think that, more than anything, shows how far race has come -- and how moot it is -- in determining who quarterbacks a football team.

Byron Leftwich, Troy Smith, Rohan Davey, Jamarcus Russell, Chris Leak -- all are black "drop back" quarterbacks. Rhoden tries to interchange "black" with "athletic," which destroys the basic argument of the column.

10. fishwrapper

I once heard argument by a prominent (one day, a Hall of Fame) NFL coach.
    He wasn't being racial. His argument well-thought out, and was fascinating to hear.
    His premise: The first "black" quarterback was Steve Young.
    Throw out pigmintation and think about it.

11. No. Steve Young was not a black quarterback.
    Next question.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great, great post, deamon. Great job breaking it down.

Draft saved Draft deleted