1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden and Jesse Jackson strike again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Aug 8, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Compapring Michael Vick to Jackie Robinson?
    I'm going to puke.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/08/sports/football/08rhoden.html?_r=1&ref=sports

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I think Jackie actually liked dogs.

All the ex-felons in the world, why clamor about work rights for someone who isn't driving a Range Rover to see their probation officer.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dear Bill,
    Vick has the right to work as a football player, but is not entitled to work as a football player.
    Now piss off.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's always barber college.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I expect garbarge from Jackson/Rhoden.

It's what makes them tick.

But what I find most annoying in the column is the stretch to rip hunters and compare them to Vick.

I often wonder if such stretches are made because of ignorance or arrogance.

In addition to those individuals whose hunting controls specific populations and helps the ecosystem, I know people who hunt for food to eat, particularly these days.

And Bill, if you're reading: If you've ever eaten a steak, a burger, some chops, a little bacon with the eggs or any matter of seafood you have contributed to the legal but "cruel" treatment to which you refer.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

michael vick has the right to work. He can apply at any McDonald's or Piggly Wiggly.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because he engaged (no 'allegedly' about it, he did it) in brutal, sadistic, savage and vicious antisocial behavior which any organization ever hoping to market itself to a family audience should utterly and unconditionally disavow and repudiate.

And if Jackie Robinson had pulled this shit in 1945, Branch Rickey would have told him to take a hike.

That's why, dumb shit.

8. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

This comparison is also greatly offensive to mold-breakers like Robinson. Comparing someone not being given a chance because of blatant racism to someone people are unwilling to sign because he brutally abused animals is atrocious. Rhoden should really be ashamed of making that parallel in any way shape or form.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why isn't Rae Carruth playing? Jackie Robinson cries out for justice. ::)

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's a shame about Rae.
    -- Evan Dando

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

12. I have never done this before, but it should be pointed out that Rhoden was paraphrasing what the Reverend said when he made the comparison. It was Jackson who made the comparison, not Rhoden.

And although I think it's a terrible comparison to make, I do think there's some validity to the comparison. Take out the reason why each player was not playing in their respective top league, and the plight they faced was at least slightly similar, as was written. They each do need someone to just take a chance.

In Jackie's case, it was to prove that African Americans are capable of playing in the Majors, and should be allowed to play alongside their caucasion counterparts.

Vick really does need a chance to prove that he is a changed man, and can still play football.

The thing I don't understand, is why do people fail to give Mike Vick a second chance, but a person like Leonard Little has had numerous chances. Or in the case of Dante Stallworth, who killed another human being, he will likely get another chance at the NFL.

What Vick did was disgusting. But he did own up to it, he served his time in a federal penitentiary, as well as on house arrest. I think he deserves another chance in the NFL. And personally, I hope someone is willing to give him that chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted