1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden Agrees With Sheff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Im sure that there are latin players who are "easier to control" because they feel scared that they might get sent back to their country. Thep problem I have with Sheffield he paints all of them with a broad brush.
    You think Manny Ramirez is easy to control?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could say "easier to control" but could also say " taught in our sytem, in our way doing things".

It only makes sense that teams who have set up academies would school players in their way of doing things. It is what the Yankees do with their latin players. As players hit major league age they have been working within system for 4- 5 years.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I beleive when others paint with a broad brush they are typically cast as racists & bigots, oh well.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Yeah, Im sure that goes on with some latin players. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people do anything management wants. You have to understand, some of these people come from extremely poor areas. Most people don't know where Pedro Martinez comes from. All they have is baseball. When people realize that a certain someone is good at it, they become a target to many bad things down there because people start to think that they're worth alot of money. Stuff like kidnappings is a norm. I remember OTL did something about how there are a certain number of people who try to fool the players into taking others with them to America illegally. It's always hard being an immigrant, especially if you can't speak english. But Sheffield makes it seem as if ALL these players are scared of the guy above him. Thats just wrong. Now, just by going with that sentence, could you say Sheffield is a racist? Yes, you can. But I think he's gonna need to explain more. That's why I think Carlos Guillen agreed with him. Im sure they talked about this in the locker room.

5. Boom_70

I think "these people" and " all the have is baseball" paints with too broad a brush.

Bernie Williams is a classical guitarist educated at university level. Alphonso Soriano went to Japan when he was 16 to play baseball and now speaks 3 languages.

6. Chuck~Taylor

When I said "these people", I was specifically talking about the people who went from poverty to becoming MLB players and actually were scared of the people that were higher than them

Secondly, yeah I agree with you on Soriano and Williams. That's why I said he's painting Latin Players with a broad brush.

7. Boom_70

Did you ever think that perhaps they were taught to respect authority much like how many white suburban kids are raised.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    We already know you believe African American's aren't equipped with proper training.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Manny Ramirez grew up in New York City (albeit in a spanish speaking Dominican neighborhood) and is a U.S. Citizen. He does not have to worry about being "sent back" to his country, he's already there.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That would be Washington Heights. Back to the original discussion, Puerto Rico would probably make an interesting case to study. Without checking, I'd bet that the number of Puerto Rican players has been trending pretty steadily down since Puerto Ricans became subject to the MLB draft in (I believe) 1989.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, that's not stereotypical, no, not at all. Suburbs are clearly white. And there are no problems with rebellious kids, drugs, or dysfunctional families in the 'burbs. ::)

12. IU90

IU90 Member

And I'd bet that you're wrong about that. I recall recently seeing that Puerto Rico produces major leaguers at a higher rate in proportion to overall population than any place in the world but the D.R. And I'd also point out that ALL Puerto Ricans enjoy the legal privileges of U.S. citizenship by virtue of being born in a U.S. commonwealth, and thus also have no concerns about being involuntarily "sent back".

So, in truth, quite many of these discussed factors that supposedly make latin players more controllable really don't apply (or apply to a far lesser degree) to the Puerto Rican players. They are subject to the same draft as the kids in the U.S. States, and have the same legal privileges. Yet, PR still produce MLB talent at many times the rate per capita that we do. Plainly suggests that the "control" excuse is not what's driving this.

Draft saved Draft deleted