1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden Agrees With Sheff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Big Chee, did you know Boom is not a sports journalist? I'm just curious, and I'm not trying to pick a fight or disagree with your point.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

funny coming from someone who for past week has been telling us that the word "compliant" was not insulting to latin baseball players.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Did I know that Boom isn't a sports journalists?

No.

Do I believe that many journalists and columnists are apt to carry sterotypes, considering how many I've seen on this site disregard facts regarding African Americans, coming from African Americans, and take no little to no effort to research anything regarding African Americans, brushing off insights which counter their POV, perferring to hold onto these sterotypes?

Yes, I do.

Do I believe they're doing so in malice?

No. They're just as indifferent to it as you are. The only thing people like you can't see is that indifference is just as dangerous as those who carry those traits.

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

You don't know me well enough to know if I am indifferent to it. You don't know me well enough to know my views on anything.

All I asked was if you knew Boom is not a sports journalist. Thank you for answering my question. You can keep the rest, your judgment of me.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Chee, you are exactly like the people you rail against -- quick to apply stereotypes.

6. Boom_70

chee you have shown same indifference in regard to Sheffs coments towards Latin American ballplayers.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

To who?

What group did I blanket? I said "many" exhibit those behaviors. And I don't see a shortage of it in that department, considering the first couple of posts spent more time discrediting Rhoden, citing irrelevant topics that usually surface when talking about race, rather than tearing apart his points. I'd respect that more than going the ad hominem route.

More often than not, when it comes to African Americans, I see we have address "guestimates" rather than hard facts that relate to the issue.

For you to tell me that there's a deficiency of that approach regarding today's coverage of race by many fellow columnist is wrong in my opinion. How many articles regarding AFrican Americans have you read compared to me to tell me I'm somehow wrong?

I'm not arrogant enough to speak on the tone regarding women related issues and its coverage since I don't read enough of those articles to come to a conclusion. Somehow, you've read more articles covering African Americans than I to tell me that my judgment is somehow false.

Incredible...

8. Boom_70

Rhoden should be discredited since he and Sheff share same publisher/ editor and he did not disclose.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Chee, I think sportschick was talking about the fact that both armageddon and Terence Mann asked honest questions seeking honest answers, and not looking to pick a fight. Yet you chose to jump all over them. I don't care if you said "many," you implicated Terence's supposed indifference, which there is simply no evidence for.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I didn't know I was picking a fight saying that people are indifferent to the behavior I see exhibited by "many" journalists when it comes to covering African Americans.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The African-American community (along with all others) would be best served if somebody told the young people:

QUIT PLAYING BASKETBALL
    QUIT PLAYING FOOTBALL
    QUIT PLAYING BASEBALL

...and spend some of that time hitting the books, so you can get a real job when you grow up, not the professional sports career that 99.9997% of you are never going to get anyway.

Arguing whether African-American, or Latin-American, youths are being funneled into, or away from, baseball or basketball or soccer or whatever is irrelevant. Wherever they're going, it's a career dead end for the vast, vast, vast majority of all of them.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

What does this have to do with anything? We're talking on potential athletes here and their choices. That's a separate issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted