1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rey Maualuga sneaks up behind Erin Andrews and 'dances' behind her. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, your last graf speaks to why I hesitated before posting this, but I didn't see how we could ignore it.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It was worth posting, it's a real story. But on the scale of weird and inappropriate things that happen around athletes, this one wouldn't even be notable if it hadn't been caught on camera.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We'd have never heard of it had it not been videotaped, I'm certain. And maybe that's something Maualuga, his teammates and other athletes need to keep in mind. This shouldn't just be dismissed without any contemplation, so I'm glad it's on tape. And by that I don't mean it's all about him being "caught." I think there are other potential lessons here that might never be learned or even considered if only a few hundred people had seen it.

And I agree, it's not the end of the world.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What this means is, as we all know, every athlete talks about how hot Erin Andrews is and how much they would like to have her. That guy was not pretending to grind on her for his own benefit. He was showing off for his team. And it probably made him Bigger Man on Campus in some of their eyes.

It's borderline sexual harrasment. A woman is treated as a sexual object by a man in the workplace. That said, it's akin to a third-grade boy throwing spitballs at a girl he likes. Hopefully some elder around the USC program will tell Dopey McGee that he shouldn't act that way. If nobody at USC does that, there's your real outrage.

5. TheSportsPredictor

So now the marker for being offended is whether you sue. Right.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps he was paying tribute to Kobe Bryant. What was he doing with his hands? Was he pretending to grab her ears?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Welcome to American Society version 2009.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Me telling EA what should offend her is akin to me telling her she should like the smell of cherry candles.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Has something like this happened to you? It happened to me about a year ago. Even if it was some immature high school soccer player who feigned a sexual act/danced/whatever you want to call it behind me as I tried to interview his teammate. As a professional and as a woman, it's disrespectful and hurtful.

For once I'm concurring with Tom Petty. Who will people be laughing at next when it happens again?

10. TheSportsPredictor

He was as close to hitting her as you ever would be to hitting me. Especially if you tried.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

It was not offensive. It lasted five seconds. He danced a dance that you can see 1,000 times over just about anywhere that music may be played, and nothing was exposed. People are cry babies these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.