1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rey Maualuga sneaks up behind Erin Andrews and 'dances' behind her. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's inappropriate. But I doubt he realized just how inappropriate he was being. I am sure he didn't know there was a camera pointed at him, either. If he had known, I wonder if it would have stopped him. Regardless, someone should pull him aside and explain. I am not sure anyone will. I agree this is an overreaction. Inappropriate, but not the end of the world.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

First off, considering she didn't know he was there at first, there's no way she knew what he had done while behind her, so I don't find her laughing to be any kind of a reflection on her at all.

Second, a young kid sneaks up behind a pretty woman and dances suggestively behind her ... that only happens about a million times a night in clubs all over the country.

Third, dock him a game check. At USC, that's a lot.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Does you mind if we dance with yo sideline reporter?
    If he touched her, then yes, he crossed the line. As long as he didn't, he's just a crazy kid having a little fun. She's probably experienced much more rowdy things than this (and I'd be willing to bet she's been grabbed or pawed at in crowds or on sidelines).

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

But is there much fervor? This was a couple of days ago, and this thread was the first we've discussed it. I'd heard nothing about it until the talk show today, but the host rails about everything and anything just to get a rise out of people.

I posted today because I was a little surprised to have heard nothing about it on here. If I am reading you correctly, that's because it's a non-issue. Yes?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The sidelines of a football game are not a club. It's horrendously inappropriate. It's like coming up behind a woman in an office and trying to grind on her. There's no difference. Erin's trying to work, not pick up a guy.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Rey Maualuga sneaks up behind Erin Andrews and 'dances' behind her. Offensiv

By being a sports reporter? Definitely creepy and inappropriate action here. Not offensive, mind you, but creepy and inappropriate.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm not giving him a pass. I said to dock him a game check. But I am saying (and agreeing with you) that she did absolutely nothing wrong.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. He didn't touch her. He didn't touch himself. He was wearing all of his clothes. She shouldn't have to put up with crap like this, but I'm not sure if it is a big deal.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't notice anyone laughing there, except the dumb fans in the stands.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Namath did later apologize. We did move on. I'm sure we'll move on about this, and probably sooner if Maualuga apologizes. Should he? I'm not thinking everyone here thinks so.

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

1. If this were a kid at an Ivy League school (or a non football factory), they would be disciplined.

2. When is that Trennie going to comment on the episode, piggybacking some stardom off Erin Andrews like she did last time EA was in an 'incident.'

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'd call it a silly gesture by a stupid college kid who was mugging for the crowd. Doesn't make it okay, but doesn't make me crazy with outrage.

So yeah, seems like an easy opportunity for the Boner Brigade to get all worked up about Erin Andrews, again, again, again, again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.