1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rey Maualuga sneaks up behind Erin Andrews and 'dances' behind her. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

I found this after listening to an afternoon talk show host spend almost his entire 2-hour show ranting about this. I expected to see Maualuga dry-humping Erin Andrews for 30 seconds when I visited the YouTube video the show's host was complaining about. He went on forever about the "pelvic thrust" behind Andrews' back (and other parts of her anatomy).

He went on and on about how this is USC, so nobody's talking about it, and if it were an SEC school (such as LSU) the media would be crucifying the player. I'm sure zagoshe would agree.

OK, whatever. I found it on a number of media Web sites, so it's obviously not being "ignored."

Do the sports journalists find this amusing? Offensive? Do the women here find this disturbing?

Much ado about nothing?

A few sites talking about it:

On the last site linked above, the vote is 140 to 71 saying he did not act inappropriately. Agree?

(If there's already a thread on this, I didn't see it)
  2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

All I can say is that this has never happened to me.
  3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd dance lewdly behind you, Elliotte.
  4. Johnny Dangerously

So, clearly no big deal, yes?
  5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He's just a college kid, goofing off and playing to the crowd.

No big deal. But these days, talk show hacks need something to whine about.
  6. Johnny Dangerously

Would you say that if she were your sister? Or a colleague?
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's not as big of a deal as Yahoo Sports describing Andrews as a "sideline mega babe."
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Subtlety is her middle name.
  9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Definitely inappropriate. It's a bit creepy when you see him walking in her direction.
  10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Re: Rey Maualuga sneaks up behind Erin Andrews and 'dances' behind her. Offensiv

It's offensive.
    And she knows better than any of us that it's part of the deal she's made.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It's not acceptable. It shouldn't happen.

To me, the most interesting thing is how Erin and ESPN handle this. I've said before that I like Erin personally, and she does have some very good reporting skills. But, we all know her reporting is not the reason her career has skyrocketed. In some ways, she's a bigger star than many of those she covers.

This is the first time, though, that an athlete has publicly crossed that line with her. And, will she change the way she handles herself, because you know that some people will take the "well, she's just eye candy anyway" position.
  12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I get that it's a kid who's celebrating the moment, but yeah, it definitely crosses a line to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.