1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revised revised topic: Decatur (Ala) Daily buys the (Florence) TimesDaily

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Is CNHI buying Alabama's NYTREG papers?

Looks to me like a lot of teachers, law enforcement and public employees are going to be greeters at Wal-Mart when this thing is done.

Never mind the CNHI employees.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Re: Is CNHI buying Alabama's NYTREG papers?

I learned long ago not to question anything David Bronner, CEO of Retirement Systems of Alabama, has up his sleeve.

I'm not saying --- if this does happen --- it would make any of these papers better, however, he won't do it unless it will make him money.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Re: Revised topic: Is the Decatur (Ala) Daily buying the Florence paper?

OK, the latest out of the Shoals is that the potential buyer for the TimesDaily in Florence, Ala., is the Shelton family, which owns the Decatur Daily.

There's a whiff of this on a Web site that traffics in Shoals news:

http://shoalsinsider.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=973&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2687&hn=shoalsinsider&he=.com

They have some shared territory in common, so this would be an interesting play in terms of tying up the entire north Alabama media market from Decatur west to the state line.

I've worked for both the Sheltons (good folks though the elder is a hyperpartisan Democrat) and NYTRG (feh), as has the current TimesDaily sports editor. If I were the publisher or newsroom manager brought in by NYTRG, I might be sprucing up my resume.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Despite the Shoals Insider being a complete joke of a site, the rumors are indeed getting hot about Decatur's takeover of the TD.

There are certainly plenty of things the fine folks at the TD will NOT miss about being part of the NYTRG. Then again, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I just hope no one loses their job. Lots of good people there.

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

So, despite having a hyperpartisan Democrat in the family, they're good folks? Nice.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I was never impressed by Decatur, so I hope this doesn't happen. Unless it's in Florence's best interest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. HejiraHenry

When it has a tangible effect on news coverage, then I think it is an issue, yes.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I'm told Florence was NYTRNG's most profitable property in 2008, in terms of percentage. More than 10%, but less than 20%.

I think this move is a plus for the T-D. Maybe not if you're in upper management, though.

9. HejiraHenry

What Florence needs is some consistent management with a local emphasis.

They have not been particularly well served by their NYTRG masters.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My sources are telling me that if this is going to happen, it's going to happen soon. Very soon. If this doesn't happen, well, that ain't good for the folks in Florence. Not good at all.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Methinks that a potential set of reasons Florence was percentage-wise in the NYT black last year is because of their shithole building, outsourcing some press ops to sister papers, and employing a slightly-smaller-than-needed newsroom.

But what do I know?

RB

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My britches got all Squishy reading that statement... no bigger clown in Alabama can be found than the one at the DD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted