1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revised -- Frederick, MD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Aug 1, 2007.

1. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Because of some odd policy, HR asked that I not help with their recruitment process for this position, so I had to remove my makeshift ad for this gig.

I will still answer questions privately about the area, job duties, or anything else within reason. Send me a PM. Not my idea...

2. boots

boots New Member

Re: Sports Writer, Frederick, MD

This one gets the coveted boots seal of approval. Good outfit that is growing. The paper might be the best in the state. It's section fronts are colorful and can more than stand up against to area's two biggest beasts - the Sun and the Post.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What's the pay like? My parents live near there and it can be an expensive part of the world.

4. boots

boots New Member

I think it would depend upon your experience. It is an expensive part of the country, no doubt about it.

5. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Carry on with conversation. Although as you'll see in the initial posting, I had to remove my mention of the position, which I will be leaving, from the board.

HR demanded I get the description off of here immediately because of their "policies." So much for trying to help out, I guess.

I will still field any PMs with questions.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The original post is deleted with the information.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What a bunch of dorks!

8. CashOwner

CashOwner New Member

Feel free to PM me (the ASE in Frederick), as well, about this position.

9. boots

boots New Member

I'm sure there is more to this story. From the original post, it would appear that giantja25 just turned in his notice. Obviously, HR has to do its thing.
    Look at the bright side, you know there's an opening.

10. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Put in my notice yesterday. My job (as a sports writer at the News-Post) will be available as of Aug. 18.

I'll be glad to field questions, just can't do it on here publically. Blame the dorks for that.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lots of preps, lots of traffic on the roads. Seriously, it's some of the most miserable traffic you'll ever deal with since it has both Baltimore and DC rush hour traffic. Rapidly growing area. The minor league team is covered almost exclusively by the SE. Has all the chains and other suburban stuff in the area.

Wouldn't say it's as good as the Post or the Sun because that would be a lie. But they break news in their area, which tends not to draw too much notice from the DC/Balto papers unles something serious happens. And you don't have to drive far at all to escape everything and find some beautiful land to enjoy the outdoors in.

12. boots

boots New Member

Manpower obviously is the major reason why it's not as good as the Post but it's not a stretch to say that the paper, overall, can compete with the Sun on a daily basis. And I'll give the Frederick paper credit, it does an excellent job of sometimes besting the Posts' section fronts.

Draft saved Draft deleted