1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reverse adreniline rush?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I just finished going through my first coach search. I had been stressed out about for the three years I've had this beat (my first true beat) and it finally happened this year. Would I have the sources to do it right? Would I get bitch-slapped by competitors? I've been preparing/dreading for this for years and hoped I was ready.

The search took a long time, but I was happy to break nearly all of the news and, more importantly, break it right, even when the national guys swooped in late. Looking at other coaching searches in my area in recent years, I got a lot more information to my readers than some others did. I felt pretty good about it in the end. And so ends the ego portion of this post.

Over the last week, strep throat and the flu were floating around my house with my wife and kids. I felt lucky not to get it, since I was at a crucial time in the search. When the search finally came to a head this week, I was healthy.

But upon conclusion of my final story, the weirdest thing happened. Almost on cue, my throat got sore almost immediately after I finished the story, and I felt like I had a nasty head cold. Feeling crappy, I left the office, went home, and uncharacteristically fell asleep on the couch at 12:30.

About 3 a.m., my stomach started killing me, one of those deadened aches that you just can't get comfortable or fall asleep with. Then came the vomiting -- about five different vomiting sessions, including the always fun dry heaves. This went on until about 8 a.m., when I finally fell asleep out of pure exhaustion.

I still don't feel well now, I'm about to go down the careful path of eating some saltines and drinking some water to see if I'm OK.

But it was weird. The sickness coming back to hit me like that felt like a reverse adreniline rush. Maybe I had it all along and repressed it this week so I could report on my coach search? Maybe the accumulated stress of the search came back to hit me once it was over? Maybe a combination of all of the above?

Anyone ever have this happen?

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

At my last job, every year for five years I got sick at exactly the same time: mid-February. That's when the end of several sports seasons, the start of several others and signing day all happened around the same time.

Never underestimate the impact of stress on your health.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I had something similiar happen last year, Bubs. There had been some crap floating around, but I was focused on a big presentation I had to make. I prepped for it all weekend and felt fine. I gave the presentation on Monday night, passed with flying colors and felt awful as soon as it was done. I spent the next week never getting out of bed -- headaches, nausea, sore throat, the works -- except when I threw up or got ambitious enough to get up and lay on the couch.

I really think our bodies are able to put stuff like that aside for a time period so we can accomplish a specific goal. On a larger scale, I've known people who have had terminal diseases who fight to live long enough to see their kid get married or some other major event.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I blame the ghost of Billy Joe Robideaux's catcher's mitt.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It happens to performers all the time. You get through the show, the audition, whatever and as soon as you have some down time, you get sick. It's kind of like your subconcious held it off long enough for you to do what you needed to and then sent the message to the body to let it all go.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I always get a haircut; I feel much better...

Draft saved Draft deleted