1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Revenge of the Baseball Gods"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vandelay, Aug 21, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He lied for a long time, and not just a white lie. This was a very big lie.

Kids know right from wrong, even when they are 12 or 14.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought they had to go to college for 4 years to learn that.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who exactly are the Baseball Gods?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought that was you.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Exactly, he was a 14 who didn't speak english nor have a stable life doing exactly what manipulative adults, whom he trusted, told him to do. Do I fault a 14-year-old for doing what his father and older adults told him to do, absolutely not. He wasn't running for a fucking political office, he was a kid who liked to play baseball, was put on a team and probably didn't know age rules or otherwise.

6. 93Devil

He had to know one, just one, bilingual person. Seriously, just one.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Honestly, what do you think would have happened to him if he had said something? He was not a citizen, did not know the language and the adults in his life were steering him this way. What the Fuck do you expect from a 14 year old?

8. 93Devil

I expect him to be honest.

When every national media outlet is teabagging you, I expect you to be honest and say that you do not deserve this.

If a teenagers parents are telling him or her to committ a crime, I expect them to walk to a teacher or a police officer and say something.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A crime, my God he was playing Baseball. Baseball is all he's got and if he says anything that could be taken from him.
    I wish I could live in your perfect world.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

For somebody who works with kids, 93, you sure are clueless about how how most of them respond when asked to do something by their parents.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well said.

12. 93Devil

Children are taught in the schools everyday to say something when adults ask you to do wrong things.

SC and JC, what if a teen aged girl had her dad molesting her everynight?

You still want them to listen to their parents?

What about shoplifting?

Walk into a school when you get a chance and look at the 14-year-olds. They are not thumb sucking kids. They are having kids themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted