1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reveal three random facts about yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, May 13, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your father risked his life so you could adjust to the needs of Kenny G?

2. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

After writing that, I had to go back and brush up on the story. It's a chapter in a book called "War Stories." I hadn't read it in eight years and was off on a fact.

It was actually my grandfather's mother, not grandmother, who pulled off the hat ordeal. They were living at the family house at the time. Three SS guys showed up while my grandfather and his Jewish friend, Hans, were hiding in a crawl space between the first and second floor. My great aunt, who tells the story, and her mother answered the door to address the men.

"How come there are three hats?" ... "Two are my husband's and the other is mine," Great Grandma said. It worked.

The husband, my great grandfather, was away working with the resistance, though he was under Nazi orders to divert machinery from the Netherlands to Germany. He was really distributing ration cards to hideout households. The cards were in hollowed out Mein Kampf books.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

Wow. I was going to post 3 random, [lame ass] facts about my life but after reading this, I'm not worthy. Seriously.

4. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Ha, leo, don't let me kill the buzz. Let me lighten this thing back up.

5. Two dollar bills fell off of my nightstand Monday morning and my dog chewed them to bits.

6. That's one less rum and coke on well drink specials night at my favorite sports bar.

7. One time, I crushed my finger with a carpet pad stapler, and the nail grew back perfectly within three months. Thought it was gone forever.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

a years probation and she had to surrender her passport. and I got sentenced to having to listen to her talk on and on about her notoriety whenever I saw her sister

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I keep thinking up more to share ...

1. I worked for two years, after high school, with a minor league baseball team doing radio and official scoring. Best time, bar none, of my life.

2. I once covered five football games in five days. Thursday, Friday = high school; Saturday = Major D-1 game; Sunday = NFL. Monday = MNF.

3. I have eaten seven dozen oysters in a single sitting, twice.

rb

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I covered five in three. One HS on Thursday, two more on Friday, one Saturday afternoon and a D-1 game Saturday night. The Saturday part was the pain since the HS game was about 2 hours from the college stadium.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

1) I, too, have never smoked or touched a bit of alcohol.

2) I read this earlier, but I played the son of a mother who was killed by her crazy boyfriend on an episode of "America's Most Wanted."

3) I won the first three Reading "Olympiads" at my elementary school where we won medals for who read the most books. They stopped holding them after my last year winning.

Draft saved Draft deleted