1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rev. Wright's church responds--this is really funny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Sure, and if McCain went to a church where KKK meeting were held I'm sure he could just say hey, "I don't believe any of that stuff. I was just here doing a research project on thread counts."

If he didn't endorse what his church espouses, he should have left it. He didn't.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You aren’t serious about McCain are you? It was a news item (not even a story) for all of 1-day. This Obama pastor shit has gone on for weeks now.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think that all that needs to be said on this issue has been said right there.

If Wright, or hell, if Hagee, influences your decision about who you're going to vote, then you clearly ought to take a deep look inside yourself and ask if your vote is going to hurt or help America. That's what it's supposed to be about in the end, not ensuring "your" guy gets elected.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If McCain was a long-time member of Hagee's church, do you think it would have been a short-term story? And it was longer than one day, because it took longer than that for McCain to back away from some of Hagee's more controversial comments.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree...

Also, stunning that the liberals on this board are so quick to jump to his defense...

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As stunning as those who jumped to Hagee's defense?

Please....this isn't about liberal or conservative.

7. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

The NY Times ran a front-page blowout about McCain and his "association" with a lobbyist. Unless it is front page news today, the Times has buried the pastor story. Also, John Hagee isn't McCain's pastor. The two hadn't even met until McCain became the frontrunner for the nomination.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, the Times "buried" nine Jeremiah Wright stories in the last 12 days on his own Times' Topics page.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/jeremiah_a_wright_jr/index.html?8qa&scp=1-spot&sq=jeremiah+a+wright&st=nyt

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don’t know for certain about what “would” have happened. However, knowing for a fact that Huckabee didn’t receive a whole lot of grief for being a crazy minister, I would have to think that McCain wouldn’t have received that much grief either.

Which is more pertinent to the discussion? McCain was actually accepting money and making decisions based on the lobbyist. Obama, it has yet to be proven, does not seem to have made any decisions based upon the brief clips of craziness from one minister.

Also, JGMACG seems to have pointed out the time Times “really buried” the story. ::)

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Obama story (w/color pic of Wright) is on 1A of Tuesday's NYT.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Above the fold, or below?

Buried!

12. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Today is the first time it's been a front page story in the Times. Of the nine stories mentioned earlier, three are about the pastor controversy. Several of the "nine stories" were written years ago and have nothing to do with the current controversy. Today's article is primarily about Obama's speech. Yes, the Times tried to bury the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted