1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rev. Wright's church responds--this is really funny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're better than that.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Call me back when Obama is accused of ever saying or endorsing any of this stuff. Then I promise to try to care.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would serioulsy consider voting for Obama but I do feel that he owes us more on his connection to Rev Wright.

I think we would all agree that Obama is a lot closer to Rev Wright than McCain is to Hagee.

Obama is speaking at 10 am today. If he again swings and misses on Wright his chances of becoming POTUS are slim to none.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Read this article ...

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0716/p01s01-uspo.html?page=1

Or this one ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/religion/chi-070121-relig_wright,1,271630.story

Or this one ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/us/politics/30obama.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Wright is more than a caricature drawn from a 30-second clip of one sermon. He has done more to lift the spirits and mindset of his churchgoers than any politician or pundit who judges the pastor from a lofty perch. White people should stop being so afraid of black disenfranchisement and recognize that it exists.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fair enough. But by that token, I could point to a bunch of good things that George Allen did or said. But he hung a noose in his office and called someone a macaca, and so instead of him being a leading GOP presidential contender, he got to watch Jim Webb walk into his Senate office and order new carpeting. You say stupid, impolitic things, you're going to get called on the carpet for it. Nothing racist about it.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When he's on the Presidential ticket, that is more than a fair point. But he's not. Obama has addressed the issue in writing quite eloquently. If people want to hear the words from his mouth, great.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The difference is George Allen was an elected official. He should be held to that standard. What we're doing here is taking what Wright said and pinning it on Obama and somehow pretending he agrees with it. Why? Because a lot of people are scared shitless a black man might be president and they see it as an opportunity to tear him down.

EDIT: The bigger point is Wright is not a hateful, mean person. The media is portraying him that way and it's irresponsible (and insulting).

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Since skin color is a determinant of whether you rip someone or not, you are definitely not one to talk.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

George Allen was himself the candidate.

Rev. Wright is an associate of a candidate.

Big, material difference there.

And if we're going to hold Obama's feet to the fire for something said by someone else, then I await the McCain speech in which he refutes Hagee's assertion that the Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

One last point and I'm done. The surest way to stir up controversy in this country is to bring racially-charged dialogue into a conversation. People go nuts. What's amazing is these same people care less that our sitting president has spent eight years urinating on the Constitution, the Republican nominee wants to occupy half the countries on the planet and the other Democratic nominee can't string two sentences together without a lie or distortion. Those things are a little more significant, at least to me.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

wfw

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not that big a difference. Both are public figures, and public figures can have years of good works washed away with one or two impolitic comments, gestures or opinions. And wasn't McCain technically not the Republican nominee when Hagee endorsed him, since that's apparently a valid reason for why McCain's connection to Hagee is more unsavory than Obama's is to Wright?

Draft saved Draft deleted