1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rev. Wright's church responds--this is really funny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So you don't mind that McCain's buddy says:

"All hurricanes are acts of God, because God controls the heavens. I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that.

The newspaper carried the story in our local area, that was not carried nationally, that there was to be a homosexual parade there on the Monday that the Katrina came. And the promise of that parade was that it would was going to reach a level of sexuality never demonstrated before in any of the other gay pride parades.

So I believe that the judgment of God is a very real thing."

or

And the pastor suggested in a book called "Jerusalem Countdown" that, as Sarah Posner puts it, "military confrontation with Iran is foretold in the Bible as a necessary precondition for the Second Coming."

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/02/29/politics/horserace/entry3892932.shtml

Interesting how McCain's "spiritual adviser" gets a free pass from the liberal press. But "we weren't talking about that".

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Moral relativism: It's the American way.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So no Catholics on the thread so far? No one minds that Hagee refers to the Catholic church as "the Great Whore"? Interesting.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No candidate has a monopoly on their supporters saying stupid things, that's for sure.

McCain's guy deserves just as much ridicule and scrutiny.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm Catholic. Hagee should be called out for the foof he is. The difference in news value, as I see it, is that Obama is selling himself to the American public as a candidate who transcends race. So it's a little more than interesting, IMO, that his spiritual adviser of two decades is a racist. That's why the connection has more legs than McCain-Hagee.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Well, that makes sense. So, as long as you never claim not to be something, it's OK if you surround yourself with people who are ... in this case, a raving lunatic.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm a recovering Catholic . . . does that count?
    Unlike Obama, who says now - after being forced to - that he doesn't agree with what his mentor said throughout 20 years of devotion to him and this church, I put 22 years of believing in the Catholic way aside because I didn't agree with the coverup from the Pope on down over the sex-abuse scandal. Granted it was a judgement call for me, and I guess it's a judgement call for him - especially since that's the platform he is running on. I think it shows pretty poor judgement for him to subject his children to this type of craziness. Then again, when you connect the dots, maybe it's his wife - first time being proud of America - that has been dragging his ass to church to cheer on this douchebag of a minister.

And to that I say GOD BLESS AMERICA!

8. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

“Dr. Wright has preached 207,792 minutes on Sunday for the past 36 years at Trinity United Church of Christ. ..."

Didn't know that Rain Man tallied up his minutes, thought he just counted cards.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm pretty sure McCain had a pound of flesh taken out of him for his association with John Hagee. I'm even more sure that nobody called Obama's preacher an "insane cleric" on this board.

10. Yes, because there simply is no place in the American dialogue for crazy theories about 9/11.

http://www.alternet.org/story/12909/

Then again, hondo's found a black person to bash, so life in some quarters is good.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Has anyone who has pounded this story into the public consciousness actually looked into Rev. Wright's church in any detail? This whole thing reeks of racial prejudice and the corporate media has happily sat there banging the drum. It's disappointing. Not surprising, but disappointing.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Anything specific to back that up?

Draft saved Draft deleted